I Forge Iron

Made my first hardy tool!

If it works, it's a good one and that's what matters, well done. I too first thought it could have used a little better finish, but hey, it looks like it belongs to that old anvil it's sitting in.

So for future reference it's not poorly finished, it's been skillfully 'antiqued' to match the aged anvil it will be used with. Most folks neglect to consider such astetics!:D

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

So for future reference it's not poorly finished, it's been skillfully 'antiqued' to match the aged anvil it will be used with. Most folks neglect to consider such astetics!:D

Well said! I wish I could free my mind from its Eastern-European negativity! :lol:

10 hours ago, New axe maker said:

I believe its a Cold shut. I'll have to double check. Either way it still does its job and I could make more if needed I have plenty of rail clips.

If you bring a few clips to the next meeting I'd like to buy a couple. I like them a lot.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 9/30/2016 at 2:06 PM, New axe maker said:

I believe its a Cold shut. I'll have to double check. Either way it still does its job and I could make more if needed I have plenty of rail clips.

Cold shuts can lead to what the rocket scientists call "rapid unscheduled disassembly". While this one is still holding together, use it to make another. That's what I did:

IMG_1448.JPG

Very nice.

I had my first go at making a hardy tool the other day also. Only partly done before I ran out of steam, and not looking anywhere near as good as yours!

I used the spline and threaded section from the outside of a CV joint. Probably twice the size it needed to be, which is one of the reasons I ran out of steam!

First time I had tried to work anything with any sort of an amount of carbon in it, just about did in my foo foo valve trying to get it to move compared to the mild steel I have played with to date! - yes 2lb hammer swapped out for 4 lb hammer, including accompanying loss of hammer control and target acquisition capability :), resulting in the first two dent marks in my poor little anvil.

Going to fire the forge back up today and give it some more love!

Oh yeah, buy a squeeze bottle of Aloe Gel and keep it in the smithy. Get it on burns as fast as you can and get in and cool the burn off, it makes a huge difference. If you ask me how I know I'm going to hire someone to hit you with a rubber chicken! I've had to go so far as using the Silvadine. :(

Frosty The Lucky.