I Forge Iron

Exploring Metal Benders

I am exploring different methods of bending metal. I have worked with a Hossfeild alot, but I wonder if there is a homemade version of this type?
There is a cool posting in "blueprints" for a ring roller, are there other type like this?
I have seen a bender made from a thick metal plate that has holes drilled on several arcs to recive pins and a leverage bar. Does this sound familler?

If you can share any other info, pics, or plans it will be greatly received by everyone, I'm sure.

• 2 months later...

Hey little forks, just keep asking. Yes you can make a hossfeld type bender. I made one years ago and it still works fine. I made it exactly identical to a factory job, so I can use their parts as well as ones I make myself. I used s.s. for most of the bending pins, and the ones that were too weak I replaced with ones made from hardened bolts(.75" grade 8). Also, antisway bars from early mustangs happen to be .75" very good steel. The only thing I changed, is that I welded the upper and lower arms of the main body to a 2" solid square of mild steel, vertical orientation, and this drops into a trailer hitch reciever, welded to the bottom of my 1" thick layout table. When not in use, the bender hangs from hooks and the trailer hitch mount hold different vices, beverly shear,etc. On the vices I use 2" rd. bar, so they swivel. I also made pipe bending dies from wood, cast aluminum, steel and plastic.

• 3 months later...

If you are going to make something using this principle, think of incorporating a stop device or attachment (to govern the length of the working/approach stroke) to ensure an even repeatable pressure to be applied throughout the length of the curve being produced as the material is fed through.

A consistent increment of feed through will assist in making regular smooth curves.

• 2 months later...
I see this one as causing potential problems with flat spots. It looks like a good patent on a difficult method - although I have seen large hydraulic benders set up on similar principles.

I have copied this exact bender and i worked with it quite a lot. This bender is good for bending stock at an angle 90 ...45^ or any angle. It's good for making collars but i don't recomand for making an arch.This is not the fastes and the simplest way posibble .Circles take a lot of time to make too ...