I Forge Iron

Bradley Strap Hammer Identification

I purchased a Bradley strap hammer from someone who had no history on it, other than "it was on the property when we bought it". The hammer has no tag on it indicating the hammer size. I am hopeful that someone may be able to shed light on the possible size and possibly an opportunity to obtain a manual for it. The particulars about it are; a Bradley tag with patent dates and a serial # 478, the footprint is approximately 22 X 43, height is approximately 55, the drive pulley is 12 (excluding the lipped flange), and the brake flywheel is 16 1/2. I've contacted Cortland Machine and I'm awaiting response. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks 

20160911_174747.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b1.jpg

Welcome!   If you put your general location in the header (user/settings) you might be surprised how many Iforge folk live within visiting distance.

The search engine here is weak; use google with "Bradley strap hammer iforgeiron" as keywords.

What are you aiming to do in a smithy?

I'm a part time/hobbiest/never anytime to smith/should have saved more as a young buck so I could smith full-time. When I have time to smith, it's most often utilitarian pieces; camp cooking gear, brackets,  an occasional rasp snake. Purchased the power hammer to use at a later time, when I hope to have the time to smith more often than not. I'll tear it down and hopefully will be able to refurbish the hammer for use.

• 2 months later...

Hey there blacksmith Steve I do have the spec sheet for the cushions.  I will get it to you no problem. 

And to answer your question about finding a source for the cushion no I did not find any.  I did however talk to a gentleman named Phil That is very knowledgeable about power hammers and his advice was to make them using Polyurethane either casting them using a mold or using rod and freezing it then machine on a lathe. 

Good luck with your hammer looks to be in good condition, myself I would just try to get it going without a total teardown if it turns free it should work just fine. 

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 10:05 AM, clinton said:

Hey there blacksmith Steve I do have the spec sheet for the cushions.  I will get it to you no problem. 

And to answer your question about finding a source for the cushion no I did not find any.  I did however talk to a gentleman named Phil That is very knowledgeable about power hammers and his advice was to make them using Polyurethane either casting them using a mold or using rod and freezing it then machine on a lathe. 

Good luck with your hammer looks to be in good condition, myself I would just try to get it going without a total teardown if it turns free it should work just 

Thank you for the "cushion specs" offer, I sent you a PM. I agree with the run "as is" suggestion. I bought the hammer knowing it was frozen and anticipated a rebuild. This fall I planned to tear it down, starting at the tup. With PB Blaster, wrenches, and breaker bar in hand I started. After 2 cans of PBB and a TON of patience and time I was able to loosen the hammer from treadle to tup. The toughest and most time consuming was the treadle/break weight/tensioner. When I  pulled the hammer out of the woods it was sunken nearly a foot. I am now able to turn the drive pulley by hand. I do not believe the hammer has seen heavy use as the tup guide adjustments are at the minimal setting. Currently in a holding pattern, as the hammer is stored tarped outside. Next steps are tup/helve attachment strapping, hard maple for the helve arm, cushions, and motor. I realize it will be looking for the proverbial "needle in the haystack", however I'm going to search for a single phase 900 rpm 3hp motor.

P.S.  A HUGE thank you for all the responses to date. 

+1 for Kroil, and yea.. a 900 RPM motor will be more difficult than it is worth source. Most folks find a 1850 or so RPM motor and pulley it down to speed. For the maple contact local lumber mills, or even better lumber mills that sell specialty lumber to furniture and cabinet makers.  They can probably get the timber you need, cut the way it needs to be. If you were in the PA/NJ/MD/DE area I would suggest someone like Hearne Hardwoods. As for cushions I am currently on a crusade to make some, progress of that should follow in another thread once I am confident on the size for each size hammer. 

This thread needs more pictures!

One option for those cushions might be standard urethane die springs.  They come in lots of standard sizes which by eye might foot the bill and also in several durometer ratings.  I'm ignorant of the details of both price and actual cushion sizes so just tossing out an idea in case it's worth pursuing.

On Thursday, December 01, 2016 at 1:04 PM, CMS3900 said:

+1 for Kroil, and yea.. a 900 RPM motor will be more difficult than it is worth source. Most folks find a 1850 or so RPM motor and pulley it down to speed. For the maple contact local lumber mills, or even better lumber mills that sell specialty lumber to furniture and cabinet makers.  They can probably get the timber you need, cut the way it needs to be. If you were in the PA/NJ/MD/DE area I would suggest someone like Hearne Hardwoods. As for cushions I am currently on a crusade to make some, progress of that should follow in another thread once I am confident on the size for each size hammer. 

This thread needs more pictures!

Not anything new to post as far as pics go. Only thing that has changed on the hammer since purchase is freeing up the moving parts. Will post new pics in Spring when I replace the tup/helve strapping and helve arm. Given all the positive comments on Kroil, I  will definitely use it in the future.

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Judson Yaggy said:

Can't help any more than the advise already given, but looks like there were several hammers for sale there?  Care to share?

I purchased 3 hammers, an Easy Helve (which I  have since sold), a Model B Fairbanks (which I  will be selling), and of course the BRADLEY.

20160911_174533.jpg

Heheh The idea of a demo rig like your talking about has been rolling around in my head too, on the back of a Ford TT truck with a hit and miss. Fortunately I have a lot of steam and gas shows in my area so I think it would go over well.