blacksmith steve

Members
  • Content Count

    9
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About blacksmith steve

  • Rank
    Newbie

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Northeast

Recent Profile Visitors

374 profile views
  1. Hindsight is quite often 20/20. I lament over selling the Easy Helve. It would make a fine portable hammer. Light enough to mount on a small trailer and only needs a 1 hp motor. Would make a sharp demo rig with an old hit n miss engine! But alas, I have enough irons in the fire.
  2. Not anything new to post as far as pics go. Only thing that has changed on the hammer since purchase is freeing up the moving parts. Will post new pics in Spring when I replace the tup/helve strapping and helve arm. Given all the positive comments on Kroil, I will definitely use it in the future. I purchased 3 hammers, an Easy Helve (which I have since sold), a Model B Fairbanks (which I will be selling), and of course the BRADLEY.
  3. Thank you for the "cushion specs" offer, I sent you a PM. I agree with the run "as is" suggestion. I bought the hammer knowing it was frozen and anticipated a rebuild. This fall I planned to tear it down, starting at the tup. With PB Blaster, wrenches, and breaker bar in hand I started. After 2 cans of PBB and a TON of patience and time I was able to loosen the hammer from treadle to tup. The toughest and most time consuming was the treadle/break weight/tensioner. When I pulled the hammer out of the woods it was sunken nearly a foot. I am now able to turn the drive pulley by hand. I do not believe the hammer has seen heavy use as the tup guide adjustments are at the minimal setting. Currently in a holding pattern, as the hammer is stored tarped outside. Next steps are tup/helve attachment strapping, hard maple for the helve arm, cushions, and motor. I realize it will be looking for the proverbial "needle in the haystack", however I'm going to search for a single phase 900 rpm 3hp motor. P.S. A HUGE thank you for all the responses to date.
  4. Anyone have a spec/dimension sheet for the cushions for the hammer? Thanks
  5. I pick up boric acid, a.k.a. orthoboric acid, at Lowes; "HOTSHOT ROACH KILLING POWDER". It's $4.25 for 16 ozs. Label states 99% orthoboric acid, as does on-line MSDS,. The MSDS does not state what the remaining 1% is.
  6. A few members sent me Bradley manuals, thank you to all for the info. Comparing the spec sheet in the manuals, to the Bradley, indicate a 50# hammer.
  7. I'm a part time/hobbiest/never anytime to smith/should have saved more as a young buck so I could smith full-time. When I have time to smith, it's most often utilitarian pieces; camp cooking gear, brackets, an occasional rasp snake. Purchased the power hammer to use at a later time, when I hope to have the time to smith more often than not. I'll tear it down and hopefully will be able to refurbish the hammer for use.
  8. I purchased a Bradley strap hammer from someone who had no history on it, other than "it was on the property when we bought it". The hammer has no tag on it indicating the hammer size. I am hopeful that someone may be able to shed light on the possible size and possibly an opportunity to obtain a manual for it. The particulars about it are; a Bradley tag with patent dates and a serial # 478, the footprint is approximately 22 X 43, height is approximately 55, the drive pulley is 12 (excluding the lipped flange), and the brake flywheel is 16 1/2. I've contacted Cortland Machine and I'm awaiting response. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks