I Forge Iron

blacksmith on front page !

Our local (county) newsprint features a nearby event on front page.  Pictured is a blacksmith of over twenty years experience.  

So why is he stretched out to reach the forge and the blower crank ? I recently visited a shop a bit up north the same way. I had to stand along the side of the forge to reach the champion 400 blower. 

Is this the latest style like your jeans around the bottom of your butt or am I missing something?  

20160910_193200.jpg

I can't see a good reason in the pic. After the first couple few thoughts brainstormed a while they petered to unlikely. Was it a hot day and the smiths just wanted to stay back from the fire? I could see it if the fire was really smoky but much smoke is usually temporary.

Is his name in the article, call and ask?

Frosty The Lucky.

It is. But the event, featuring many crafters and Pioneer era activities is next week.  The pic is from last year. I may show up to ask.

I appreciate who set up shop and move about. It exposes the craft to the public. It be alot of work to move about. I'd have to do it in a way that is inquisitive.  Not demeaning.  

I guess when you set up shop in the middle of a paddock, you may have to make a few adjustments to what you consider an ideal set up. I recently did a few days at a show where the conditions were not perfect. You just have to compromise a little.

I'm thinking the guy in the pic is left handed, unless he's going to switch the hand holding the stock on the way to the anvil. Anyway, his expression says he's in good control of the situation.

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

I guess when you set up shop in the middle of a paddock, you may have to make a few adjustments to what you consider an ideal set up. I recently did a few days at a show where the conditions were not perfect. You just have to compromise a little.

I'm thinking the guy in the pic is left handed, unless he's going to switch the hand holding the stock on the way to the anvil. Anyway, his expression says he's in good control of the situation.

If you look right behind the forge your able to see the anvil with his hammer staying up on end. 

The guy that does this kind of thing at a local 'arts and crafts' type thing is setup up with the blower back like that. But his forge is a stack of rock up to a comfortable height with the fire sitting in a depression in it and the blower might be permanently fixed to the ground. Most of the stuff there never leaves where it's at since it belongs to the venue. 

One thought is that since the air hose appears to be some sort of fabric, plastic or other collapsable material, he may have needed it to be long and straight to keep it from kinking. 

You can already see that where it dips down it might be prone to blocking the air... 

Just my 2 cents! 

Look behind him everything He has on display is tall like Lantern Hooks/Bird Feeders and Tripods . when I am planning on a run of items like this I set up much like he did here I want a bit more room to maneuver that long stuff without having to swing hot steel up and over or around the equipment like blower etc.to get to my anvil . I also agree that he is using a canvas tube that seems like it will close off if not pulled tight but I also think with all that tall goods he has on display he found what sells well in his area and has adjusted his shop to suit making those goods so he has to take an extra step or 2 BUT he has a clear path to each of his shop tools so it actually runs much smoother than being set up the way all the books say "In close"  

I'm simply going to ask him why, -when I go Friday. 

I obviously isn't right when you look at pictures of shops on this and any other forum. Pictures in contemporary books. Historical books such as "to draw upset and weld" and thousand upon thousands of factory made forges.

I simply asked a fellow blacksmith as to why the local county fair spent the amount of money they did to construct a beautiful shop of solid hardwood and stamped concrete floor etc and mount the 400 forge blower so far away. His reply was; "obviously don't know what they are doing".

I didn't argue with him about forge or blacksmith shop police. 

Could be a barrier...but wouldn't you just make a barrier and be comfortable....but only two reasonings I can think of off hand is....either he has a unknown medical issue he prefers to stand that way while he man's the blower or he is spread out for visual effect....maybe he felt he needed to spread it out lol