I Forge Iron

Looking for a budget anvil

Probably not. You need as much mass under your hammer blow as possible, and there's no way to accomplish that with an I-beam. 

There are a LOT of threads on IFI about improvised/non-standard anvils. People use truck axles, forklift tines, big ol' hunks-o'-steel. Go read those threads; pretty much any basic question you can think of has already been asked and answered there. 

Welcome aboard!

Anything with a mass of 75-100 pounds is good. Do not pass the sledge hammer heads, hydraulic cylinders, fork truck forks, etc. I just retrieved a piece of plate 14 x 14 x 1-1/4 inch plate that weighed 75 pounds from a scrap pile. The stuff is out there, you just have to look.

• 6 years later...

I bought several years ago a harbor frieght anvil. (Before I knew anything). I was wondering about welding a large 1 inch thick piece of tool steel on the top to use as an improvised anvil?  I even thought about cutting the top off and welding the tool steel, replacing the deck.  Honestly I think this would be cost preventative.  But I wondered about it if it would work.

I honestly didn't think it would work, I would do better to secure it to a wood block I think until I get a better option. Then I could use it as a striking anvil later.  I found an huge chunk of tool steel at my dads.  Well high carbon steel anyways with the spark test.  Going to bring it home just wasn't able to grab it while I was there for Christmas. I figured out the work to weld it, the cost to weld it would be preventive of it doing me any good.  I actually was thinking on cutting it up some making a striking anvil and upsetting block with it.