I Forge Iron

Gas Forge

ALWAK

Hello. my name is Al .I'm new at this& have been reading about building a small gas forge.There is a lot of designs out there to  sort through.Any tips would be welcomed .I live in Ak.so supplies are hard to come by.I do have tools and a place to work,just need to be pointed in the right direction, Thanks ,     Al,     Wasilla,Ak                                                                                                                                          

Welcome, Al- you've come to the right place, and even the right section of the site. Get yourself a cold beverage and a snack, and read this whole section on gas forges. Lotsa good info. Read it, read it again, then ask questions. I think most possible questions have been covered here. Once you've read the gas forge section, refresh your beverage and start reading the rest of the site. You're in luck- once Frosty chimes in, you'll find a font of info and bad puns right there in your neck of the woods. Welcome to the madness.

Steve

Welcome aboard Al, glad to have you. I live on Vine Rd. and a few other guys live close by. Wayne has good info and supplies for reasonable, we may do things a little differently but his info and method is sound.

If you'd like to come over PM me and we'll set a time. We can get you set up in a forge pretty easily once we know what you want to start with. You can play with my kit  and get some ideas.

The Association of Alaskan Blacksmith's next meeting is in Palmer Sept 24th. at Pat Garley's "Arctic Fires Bronze" studio. I don't know what demos are arranged, we'll come up with something if not. Meetings are open except club business of course, we usually have a couple few stations so you can get some time at the anvil. Were a pretty decent bunch and you're more than welcome.

Frosty The Lucky.

Me too, Al has some thinking to do then we'll get him up and going. Pics will follow. He's going to be quite an addition to Iforge and the craft, I showed him my burner build box, described how I use the drill press like a lathe to keep it all aligned and he got it all first go. Working with someone with more than basic shop skills is a treat.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank's for all the help & ideas at your shop Sat,that was a lot to take in  that short of time .I should have read your'e thread on burners before I came out.I somehow passed over it. I have been shopping the parts & peices for 2 of the burners even thought I'll start out with a single,should have made a stop at gold star,some of those fitting a rare here in town.Still working on a shell for it. I got yancey in the shop this morning and another ax head popped of the work table, going to have to make another handle. Look forward to seeing you again & meeting some other smiths.Al

It was my pleasure Al. Have you thought about the size and shape forge you want? Before going big consider that just about everybody who's been doing this a while has several forges collecting dust and at least one WAY too large one. My shop forge is a perfect example in about 16 years I've only had 4 burners running twice that wasn't a test burn. I run 1 and occasionally 2, the rest of the forge is just there. ;)

However there's nothing wrong with having an extra burner or two handy you just never know when you'll need more.

How are you going to align the burner(s)? what kind of fuel line are we plumbing on the burner? It makes a difference in what kind of fitting goes in the T.

Yancy? Are you going to bring another playmate next time?

Frosty The Lucky.

I am just going to build s a single burner ,I just want to get parts for 2 just encase .Lowes didn't have the Tees or flare nipples, I'll go to to furgesons today and see what they carry.Have to go to Anch Fri. so I'll stop by bartel's.I don't really don't no the amounts yet that I need but if find a shell that will help.Going with copper then hose.I have some air tanks and propane tanks,I better do some reading on sizing if I just build a box for it.Will a 3/4'' coupling work instead of a thread protector , I should think it would.No play mates I made the eye differently this time, I cut a double bit lengthwise then in half ,rounded the end and welded a cap on it . not classic forging but fast, functional & frugal. need to get 3 made for something before winter.Later Al