I Forge Iron

Using both hands

A response to power hammers in another thread made me put my two bits in for hammers, technique and human form.  This is my opinion, which has led me a very long way along the path of success and efficiency.  This post can hopefully help people all around with a success statement coming from Forging Physiotherapy.

First of all, forget the power hammer, get a bigger anvil, and spend some time on you.  Technique and posture are essential to having a good work day, and life.  I am a kung fu practitioner and apply stances and form to working the forge.  You don't need a martial arts background, but keep a straight back, pull your shoulder blades together and bend in the knees.  think of your spine as a pillar that must stand on end.  Keep the head pulled back and look down upon what you are doing.  This also helps a bit with eye protection by keeping your face further away from your metal.  No safety glasses are 100% effective, so take that extra foot to keep your eyes safe.

Also, GO AMBIDEXTEROUS! Be adamant about it,  brush your teeth with both hands even, it took me 6 months of daily practice to get good.  switch hands for forging blade bevels, and every forge reheat etc.  You will learn FAR more about your body, technique and muscle isolation doing jobs with both hands.  I used to forge right handed only with a 4 lb hammer.  I developed a overlarge right arm, and mild scoliosis in my back (crooked back).  I am surprised I don't hear more smiths concerned about this.  Switching up to two handed / ambi techniques, I fixed my back, moved to a 10hr work day from 2, and now throwing twin 10lb sledge hammers (for drawing damascus).  I still don't think twin hammers are as good as a power hammer, but part of playing the blacksmith role in my opinion is looking like one ;)

This all ties in really well for me as an athlete in rock climbing, martial arts and cycling. They all end up complimenting one another.  Find the compliments in your life and reap the benefits . And if you are a coach or instructor like myself, it really benefits what you can show others.

What left learns is from right, what right learns is what's left.

well for what ever reason, part of the right side is cut of and is making it difficult to read. Any body else?

Littleblacksmith

It's all OK on my screen.

Interesting comment. I have never tried to forge anything with my left hand, as it feels weak and uncontrollable. My arms are definitely asymmetric.  Maybe I should try a few simple things like nails and hooks. But not in demo time!

Ausfire, I have this vision of a Smith demoing the Ronco Reversible Cross Rounder® - "It's a Right-Hand Rounder! Flip it over, and now it's a Right-Hand Cross Pein! But Wait! There's More!", as the TVgenic Smith in his/her Smart Blue Suede Apron hurls the glowing stock and the divinely balanced RRCR® past one-another through Space with Amazing Ambidextrous Precision and Flair: "You Also Get, for the Same Ridiculously LOW LOW Price, The DeeLuxe Left-Handed...............!

Seriously though, I have to practice Ambidexterity just to make it through my shift.

Mr House, I observe all around me the consequences of handedness upon the Human Form, not the least being of which back pocket our wallets live for years untold.

Robert Taylor

I like making axes, eventually I may build a power hammer just to save time. As of right now I use a 6# straight pein hammer with my right hand or my younger brother strikes for me with the short handled 8# sledge.

Side note, where are you from Kevin? My name is Ben House and I'm originally from Alabama, now in Tennessee.

I had a student with absolutely horrible hammer control; so much so I finally stopped him and asked him if he was using his dominant hand for hammering---he told me no he was trying to learn to hammer with his off hand...I told him that he hadn't paid enough money to purposely damage my tools and he had to use his dominant hand or leave the class. He could work on his other hand on his own stuff.

Hey folks, I've been lurking around here for about a month or so now and I just had to throw my opinion into the mix on this subject. Although I currently don't have a shop or any tools and have never swung a hammer at glowing metal of any kind, I believe that there is something great to be learned from the OP. Even if you don't learn to go fully ambidextrous it is well worth applying Mr Miyagi's "wax on, wax off" lesson to Daniel san and try to achieve some sort of balance between the two sides of your body. 

Great insight Kevin! This post is a great example of why lurking around this forum will give me a leg up when I finally have the space to start setting up a beginners shop. 

Dave

• 1 month later...
On 08/08/2016 at 9:15 AM, Kevin House said:

A response to power hammers in another thread made me put my two bits in for hammers, technique and human form.  This is my opinion, which has led me a very long way along the path of success and efficiency.  This post can hopefully help people all around with a success statement coming from Forging Physiotherapy.

First of all, forget the power hammer, get a bigger anvil, and spend some time on you.  Technique and posture are essential to having a good work day, and life.  I am a kung fu practitioner and apply stances and form to working the forge.  You don't need a martial arts background, but keep a straight back, pull your shoulder blades together and bend in the knees.  think of your spine as a pillar that must stand on end.  Keep the head pulled back and look down upon what you are doing.  This also helps a bit with eye protection by keeping your face further away from your metal.  No safety glasses are 100% effective, so take that extra foot to keep your eyes safe.

Also, GO AMBIDEXTEROUS! Be adamant about it,  brush your teeth with both hands even, it took me 6 months of daily practice to get good.  switch hands for forging blade bevels, and every forge reheat etc.  You will learn FAR more about your body, technique and muscle isolation doing jobs with both hands.  I used to forge right handed only with a 4 lb hammer.  I developed a overlarge right arm, and mild scoliosis in my back (crooked back).  I am surprised I don't hear more smiths concerned about this.  Switching up to two handed / ambi techniques, I fixed my back, moved to a 10hr work day from 2, and now throwing twin 10lb sledge hammers (for drawing damascus).  I still don't think twin hammers are as good as a power hammer, but part of playing the blacksmith role in my opinion is looking like one ;)

This all ties in really well for me as an athlete in rock climbing, martial arts and cycling. They all end up complimenting one another.  Find the compliments in your life and reap the benefits . And if you are a coach or instructor like myself, it really benefits what you can show others.

What left learns is from right, what right learns is what's left.

I use to practice martial arts so I know what you mean about posture and stance. It does help for the lower back when your working at the anvil for more then 3 hours.

I usually hammer with my right hand and on occasions with my left when my right hand is too tired.

But the human body has its limits,that's where the power hammer comes in the picture ha ha

On 10/08/2016 at 1:51 AM, ThomasPowers said:

I had a student with absolutely horrible hammer control; so much so I finally stopped him and asked him if he was using his dominant hand for hammering---he told me no he was trying to learn to hammer with his off hand...I told him that he hadn't paid enough money to purposely damage my tools and he had to use his dominant hand or leave the class. He could work on his other hand on his own stuff.

When I'm using other people's anvils unless it's a RR track I worry about damaging the anvil face so I try not to tap my hammer on the face.