I Forge Iron

Swedish anvils?

I found a Swedish made anvil 125 pounds with a couple of hardy tools on a wooden block stand . He will sell to me for 300 U.S.  

Icant read any other words or markings except made in Sweden on it . I'm going to look at it and will try to get Pictures , are any of the Swedish anvils of lesser quality than any others? It looks like a sodofors anvil in the Picts I've seen and looks to be in very good shape .

thanks for any advise.

Do a rebound test on it with a bearing ball to make sure it hasn't gone through a fire. If it's sound grab it! There are a number of Swedish cast steel anvil makers and American trade journals used to run editorials complaining about importing them was unfair to American anvil companies.

I'd be all over that baby for that money, I don't need another anvil and $300. would be a serious bite to our budget but it'd be in my shop as soon as I could get it home. PROVIDED it passes a rebound test. I have a 125lb. Soderfors, cir, 1925 and I've never used a finer anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have an 200# anvil thats stamped ''MADE IN SWEDEN'' on one side with a raised [cast ] ''14'' on the other .

It looks like the pictures of  Soderfor anvils that I've seen. Maybe it was made to be exported.

When I got it , it had several bad torch cuts from a former life. I had a friend of mine who is a certified welder weld up the cuts with some kind of high strength rod. He said that if it could be cut with a torch it could be repaired by welding.

The repair has held up fine and the anvil was my main shop anvil for at least 10 years

It's a very tough anvil with good rebound.

I think I paid $140 for it and $35 to have it repaired about 20 years ago.

I have yet to hear a bad review about a Swedish anvil. If it passes a rebound test and you can afford it, get it. I have a 306# Sodefors, and it is a nice anvil, but it rings so loud that I usually use my far quieter 260# Fisher. 

Even at that price you wouldn't lose money if you sold it down the road, no matter what maker; Sodefors, Kolwasa, SILGO(?)

I did forget to mention how unbearably loud they can be even if you don't miss a blow. I got mine quieted to bearable by putting it on a steel tripod stand, the different resonant frequency between the anvil and steel stand damps the reverb so the anvil just says clank.

Frosty The Lucky.