I Forge Iron

More questions

I keep telling my self don't succumb to this hobbies. To late. 

Ok here's my questions.  I have a tie rod off my 94 3/4 ton Ford.  Now before the Chevy guys start in here me out.  I had to replacethrong tie rod. I tossed it in the steel pile, but everytime I look at it the wheels start turning.  

Ok mostly I'm wanting to make drifts punches and cut off tools. I think be good for that.

Other question.  There a nice round hole and I was thinking tomahawk run a drift through it and forge. Does it need high carbon bit or is this a hard steel that I can quench the edge?   

Thank. Garbear 

Thanks. I was thinking it might be. But figure using for tools I'll be okay. Like if I miss on a hot cut won't hurt my hammer. I have an old long file that I can attempt to forge weld in for a bit.   Not going to be for throwing mostly strap to my ruck sack for Minot chopping choirs but want a round eye so if necessary can fit a handle to it.

Garbear the grizzly bear. 

I have a hot cut made from axle shaft that isn't hardened. It still dings when I give the piece I'm cutting that last tap I shouldn't have. Didn't hurt my hammers tho I try to stick with a certain hammer when hot cutting but some times you just go with what's in your hand.  

Chisels and punches may be better off made from higher carbon steels.

as for the tomahawk, I haven't made one yet but from what I've read you can use a mild body with a HC bit. Just be sure that file Is solid high carbon and not just case hardened. 

20 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

I have a hot cut made from axle shaft that isn't hardened. It still dings when I give the piece I'm cutting that last tap I shouldn't have. Didn't hurt my hammers tho I try to stick with a certain hammer when hot cutting but some times you just go with what's in your hand.  

Chisels and punches may be better off made from higher carbon steels.

as for the tomahawk, I haven't made one yet but from what I've read you can use a mild body with a HC bit. Just be sure that file Is solid high carbon and not just case hardened. 

The file is high carbon. Not cheap case harden.  I haven't made a tomahawk either but focusing in on tools mostly figure one gets me tools two practice practice. 

Thanks

Garbear the grizzly

Punches and chisels profit from the high alloy steels like H13 and S7.  Drifts do fine with a medium carbon steel.  My hardy is made from a jackhammer bit and so 1050 steel; won't mar a standard hammer and I try to keep the soft hammers away from it---always a battle with the students...

Haha. Reason I run heavy equipment farm and was a soldier. Darn spell check failed me yet again.  

Thanks for the help. Its been good for me to get into this hobbies. I have whole list of tools. I need.

Garbear the grizzly

I have been told that most steering parts are made from 4140. A oil harden alloy steel.   I have made bending forks  and top and bottom tools with steer parts for many years. If you are going to weld the forged tie rod stock to a piece of mild steel for a handle/ mounting.  Tack weld first then preheat to a faint dull red and finish welding. 

Have fun

Slowpoke