I Forge Iron

Best deal to buy

At first glance, I thought the odd rust pattern on the MH may have been from the anvil getting a coat of paint or oil/grease to protect from rust, followed by light use at some point in its life...

And then I turned up my screen brightness & zoomed in on the picture. Then something caught my eye. On the side facing the camera, the top-right corner of that side of the anvil: look where the vertical & horizontal rust lines meet. The weld lines are more obvious in that area. What stuck out for me was the gap between the anvil material & the weld material, towards the top of the vertical line.

To play "devil's advocate" on myself, I'm willing to admit to the possibility that I am wrong. Calling myself a novice where anvils are concerned would be an understatement. Zooming in on the pic does start to degrade the resolution quality. But... I do have 20/13 vision, and well above average problem solving skills.

Use my words with a grain of salt ^_^.

Just a minor reality check, at $278-305 shipped to your door you can get a brand new well regarded 70 pound NC or Cliff Caroll anvil in one of a few different configurations from Centaur Forge. while I'm not suggesting these are better than the Soderfors in particular, they are still good anvils with full warranties and delivered to your door without the time/gas to go pick up one of the others.  

If you're having to haul the thing in and out of the garage until you get your permanent shop done the lighter weight anvils will be a big plus.  If I were choosing between the 4, I'd also go for the Soderfors though I am with the others who find the Mouse Hole compelling as well, at $2 a pound I think he knows it's been repaired and who knows if he'll come down a bit further just to get it out of the herd? I'd offer him $260 on the MH or Soderfors and see where you end up.

So bang for the buck would it be better to get one of these anvils or one from the Centaur Forge especially for a beginner like myself.  I see the NC 112 lbs. Cavalry  Anvil, for not much more then what I am about to spend on one of these older anvils, and I am not into the nostalgia thing I am more for practical and use.  The extra weight would be a plus, but is there a major difference between what would be classified as a blacksmith anvil vs a farrier? Or would the 70 lbs be better for a beginner vs the Cavalry very new here so do not know the benefit of one over the other.

Something to consider, the soderfors will always be worth at least what you pay for it or maybe more. The ductile iron anvils will never be worth as much as you pay for them.

If I could, I would by the soderfors in a heartbeat if I lived closer.

Okay well going see them this weekend providing the roads are not closed due to flooding, we are getting a ton of rain here.  I did find out the Mousehold has had edge repair so you guys were right on the money with that one. I will be sure and snap many pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am the proud new owner of the Soderfors Anvil, the ball baring would bounce back 100+ % from one end of the Anvil to the other.  And the small pall peen did the same, decent ring and reflected back to the same height I would drop the hammer from with light strokes.  Little deeper ring in the center with a high pitch ring toward the ends like a bell.

Congratulations.

Clean it up, oil it up, and put it to use. Remember that after you sell enough products to have paid for the anvil, one half of any additional sells go into a kitty to buy the next tool for the shop. That way you can see that the anvil is paying you back for giving it a good home. (grin)

On 8/11/2016 at 1:56 PM, Patman said:

Okay well going see them this weekend providing the roads are not closed due to flooding, we are getting a ton of rain here.  I did find out the Mousehold has had edge repair so you guys were right on the money with that one. I will be sure and snap many pics.

Did you remember to get plenty of pics?

13 minutes ago, Crawler said:

Did you remember to get plenty of pics?

Yes I did, the Trenton though was covered with mud and rust could not make out a serial number.

Here are some pics of the Soderfors cleaned up.

20160820_190927_resized.jpg

20160820_190946_resized.jpg

20160820_191022_resized.jpg

20160820_191033_resized.jpg

20160820_191044_resized.jpg

Nice! Can't say I'd be mad at having an anvil in the living room "just because". And my wife would probably only complain about it not matching the peacock them of the decor. Lol!

Good score.

(I know it won't waste away in the house :P.)