I Forge Iron

Are you using the proper forge equipment?

15 hours ago, SmoothBore said:

Well sure, there are plenty of superior designs, ... but maybe the guy already had a lot of mud, ... needed a bottle opener, ... or a key chain fob, ... RIGHT NOW ......  :o

Got it in one, he has lots of mud and it fires nicely. I'm waiting for the video of his brewery, I'm sure it's coming soon.

Frosty The Lucky.

Not right now; one of the good things about the write up is when he posts how long things actually took; one of the huts was 30 days of work and of course that didn't include finding food during that time.  Survival is a LOT of work.  When Western civilization falls, (well actually a couple of months after refrigeration and modern medicine stop).  I'll have it easy while the rest of you have to *WORK*!

All things remaining equal I bet that guy is on a number of people's "zombie apocalypse dream team". I wonder when that type of fan was first used and the reason I wonder this is something like an Archimedes screw seem like a simple thing now but before the 3rd century BC they largely unknown. 

You have to like the tongs, like epic chopsticks 

I don't know when it was first used but a rotary blower with straight vanes is shown in De Re Metallica from 1556 used for blowing air into mines.

I'm had this discussion with S.M.Stirling before; after a fall of civilization with the expected plummeting of population there will be no need for most of the primitive skills for several generations---there will be *tons* of better made stuff lying around.  Why have a smith who may know squat about swordmaking make a sword when the local historical society has a pile of *real* ones in the basement?

You can dig clay and temper it and make a pot and let it slowly dry and spend a lot of time and energy getting enough fuel to fire it in a home made kiln.  I'll go get a metal one from somebody's kitchen...

Now my skills as a scrounger will be in high demand...

53 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I don't know when it was first used but a rotary blower with straight vanes is shown in De Re Metallica from 1556 used for blowing air into mines.

I'm had this discussion with S.M.Stirling before; after a fall of civilization with the expected plummeting of population there will be no need for most of the primitive skills for several generations---there will be *tons* of better made stuff lying around.  Why have a smith who may know squat about swordmaking make a sword when the local historical society has a pile of *real* ones in the basement?

You can dig clay and temper it and make a pot and let it slowly dry and spend a lot of time and energy getting enough fuel to fire it in a home made kiln.  I'll go get a metal one from somebody's kitchen...

Now my skills as a scrounger will be in high demand...

I can't fault your logic.