I Forge Iron

Sand blast cabinet media heater?

windancer

I remember a year or so ago I stumbled across an ad ~ not here on IFI~ for a siphon blast cabinet media heater.

The ad I am asking about was for a small cylindrical heating element that was kept in the blast cabinet buried at the bottom within the media. 

I want to read more info but cannot find the ad.

Anyone else see the ad and know where?

Thanks

I guess I'm ignorant here--Why would you want to heat the media?  The only think I can think of is moisture problems in freezing weather (or high humidities).  I would think that certain engine block heaters (which aren't expensive) might do the job for that if it's a problem.  

Issues I've had with sandblasters and moisture are due to compressor issues. I'd treat it like any other air line moisture issue such as a plasma cutter where free moisture in the air destroys consumables or spraying paint where it will wreck the finish.. A refrigerated dryer is one possible option. So is a desiccant filter stack. Motor guard filters are also good right before the plasma/sprayer.

Many times the issue is because the compressor isn't being drained frequently enough. Auto drains are one way to deal with this. Others will crack the bleeder some so any moisture the condenses almost immediately is blown out the drain.

Forget the Heater, put a GOOD water separator on the outlet connection of your compressor and one at your Blaster. I also use a second Air Compressor tank as a reservoir. Saves a lot of stop and go, when working it Hard. I actually have three 60 Gallon Air Tanks in my system now, works Way Gooder!! Don't go cheap on the Water Separators, Good = longer work cycles.

Neil

The problem is not with the media but with the air supply. There are water separators for supply lines.   However with enough air supply pressure this problem can be overcome. But you still will not be happy. Been there suffered the results.

Water seperators work best when downstream where the air has cooled some, as hot air holds more moisture. 

If you need more air you get a bigger compressor head, not more tanks. The reason is when the compressor kicks in it now has more volume to fill up, and takes longer to recover. You end up blasting, and then waiting for the small compressor to fill the tanks. I saw this a lot when I did compressor servicing at shops. Blasting takes a ton of air volume at pressure.

During the monsoons we would get damp media , even here in the normally dry desert.

I found just keeping an old incadesent style light on in the cabinet assures dry media. Here in tropical Florida it's not a choice. Anyway simple fix and has worked great for many years. 

Of course an extra water seperator before the cabinet is a must. Ours is just a large vertical pipe Google Franzinator for some DIY plans. 

• 1 year later...

After doing MUCH more reading... I found an old, used large cylinder pipe thing that is filled with crystals that turn blue when they get too wet. Put that on the incoming air line and that cured the moisture problem from the compressor. When they turn blue to empty them into a baking sheet and put them in a slow oven. They turn white again when they are dry, put the back in and you are good to go again. Thanks to all for posting!

As an aside: I found a smaller tool like this an auto supply for I think around 50 bucks.

Dave

WRT. keeping the media dry , for years i have had an old PAR38 150W globe  in the collection area of the cabinet the light helps you see well inside the cabinet and the heat output from that old type incandescent globe keeps the media dry during the high humidity periods,  however as previously pointed out dry air is  key!

ian