I Forge Iron

a different style leaf key chain, atleast for me.

Mark Ling

Here's some leaf key chains I made yesterday with fullered veins, which I had never done. I like the look of them although they did take longer than the regular key chains. some of them have splits, but so do leaves.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_4697[1].JPG

I REALLY like those, they'd make GREAT worry stones in your pocket. I'd say the fuller left the veins standing proud of the surface. Maybe try fullering two parallel lined down the center to leave the center vein then veining perpendicular like these to leave the veins standing proud.

I think you have a money maker on your hands.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks so much, it means a lot coming from you.

yeah, they feel pretty cool with the raised veins.

ill have to try that out.

Thanks again!:D

Littleblacksmith

Thanks everyone, so I took frosty's idea of putting two fullered lines down the center, and have included a picture of it and also another one of the original key rings and a square center punch that I made from 3/4 inch coil spring. what's yall's thoughts on these?

Littleblacksmith

IMG_4762[1].JPG

IMG_4763[1].JPG

IMG_4764[1].JPG

IMG_4765[1].JPG

Wow, that's now how I pictured my idea, maybe I'm just used to veining with a smaller radius veiner. Yours looks almost like a mutant trilobite kind of critter. I really like it I just don't know what it is. Hurry, make up some exotic leaf that's a near perfect representation of, you'll make a killing!! B)

It's really pretty attractive, cool beans.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty, it'll be called....um.. I'm actually not sure, any ideas?

oh, forgot to mention that the "newly discovered exotic thing" was made from a 5/8 thick railroad spike; a wee bit bigger than my normal ones made from 1/2 inch round.

Maybe ill make a different, narrower fuller, and use it for the two middle veins and use my regular fuller for the other "side" veins (not sure what to call them, though I'm sure there is a proper name for 'em) ?

Littleblacksmith

I'll have to think about names, I'm pretty sure it's in the Ferrobite family but I could be wrong.

Maybe not drive the longitudinal fuller so deeply and use a smaller one for the veins would look more like a leaf.  (I just mis-keyed and the typo named it a Peaf. . . Maybe?)

Frosty The Lucky.

9 minutes ago, John B said:

Would that be a branch of the "wroughticus metallicus" variety ?

I believe we're getting this narrowed down now. It's obviously in the order NoloPoda and no question one of the wroughticus metallicus, . . . Hmmmm, perhaps one of the "Fobia?"

Frosty The Lucky.

Here's some other leafs I made a few evenings ago. The large one is made from 3/4 inch square, and the small ones from 1/4 inch round.

again, thoughts and suggestions are encouraged and welcome.

Littleblacksmith IMG_4768[1].JPG

IMG_4767[1].JPG

oh, forgot to mention that I'm using the small ones for magnets.

Littleblacksmith

I like it, last night I made another variation of the simple leaf key chain, will have to post pictures later.

Littleblacksmith

Here's a couple other styles, one of them was made using the newly named "Faram Fuller", is the other one more of what you were expecting frosty??

IMG_4769[1].JPGIMG_4773[1].JPG                                                                                                              

IMG_4775[1].JPG

Littleblacksmith

Edited by littleblacksmith
"re-aranging"

Not really what I was thinking of but I really like it. I'm going to have to give some of these a try. Been a little busy to spend much time in the shop though. The one in the first pic is really attractive almost looks like some kind of alien pine cone or acorn. You're really cooking with this theme.

What's the Faram Fuller's business end look like?

Frosty The Lucky.

The second picture I tryd to take a good picture of it:(. It's flat like a butcher on one side, and rounded on the other. The end of isnt flat it's curved, I'll take some more pictures if you want me to this evening. My dad said that i should try doing an armadillo with the texturing, would probably have to be just like a siloet (dont think that the orrect spelling). As you may have figured, the fuller is named after Jacob Faram, i heard about the fuller on alec steeles last live stream.Thanks everybody for the nice comments.

Littleblacksmith 

Can you elaborate on more of what you were picturing frosty? Also, any other Ideas of variations of the leafs?

Littleblacksmith 

I was envisioning the double fuller making an exaggerated center vein with the lateral veins going up to the center ridge. Basically what you did only getting a little closer to the center.

I was wondering what the business end of the fuller looked like, a picture of it from the side only shows the angled end I was wondering what the face looked like. A video is just too much for a brief glimpse maybe. I haven't watched it though I'm having server problems so videos are on hold for a while.

Frosty The Lucky.

Here's some pictures hope this helps.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_4778[1].JPG

IMG_4779[1].JPG

IMG_4780[1].JPG

Edited by littleblacksmith
makeing pictures smaller.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:33 AM, Frosty said:

I was envisioning the double fuller making an exaggerated center vein with the lateral veins going up to the center ridge. Basically what you did only getting a little closer to the center.

Maybe more like this?

Also included is a leaf wall hook made from 1/2 inch round. I tried to do another leaf using the Faram fuller, but it didn't end up as good as the first one, thought still isn't worthy of the resource pile (A.K.A. scrap pile).

Littleblacksmith

IMG_4786[1].JPG

IMG_4787[1].JPG