I Forge Iron

blower ideas?

broncstomper

I've started my permanent forge inside and am in need of ideas for an electric blower. I would love to be able to salvage rather then buy a new electric blower. I want more than a hair dryer. I've also got to find a source for a air gate or whatever they are actually called. I would love to hear some of the things Ya'll have used.

One forge blower I have is a combustion air blower from a residential high efficiency gas furnace.

I picked one up at a flea market for $0.50 at a flea market. It works fairly well if you are working on small work, less that is than 1" dia or so. Larger work requires more air.

For larger work 2 would be required in parrallel.

WW Grainger have several blowers that would work for less than $50.00. I don't know their website off hand but a quick search on Google will find them.

The -blower from a defunked (sic) dish washer is what i use on both my small coal forge and as a booster on my gas forge for welding. For a gate I use a lid from a can of beans over the intake using one of the screws on the blower housing. i also use a "dead man" foot switch to save coal.

PICT0062.jpg

I read somewhere that you wanted at least 350 cfm, Have you guys found that not to be true? If i can get away with a 100 cfm it shouldn't be to hard to find something. I've been sitting here looking for a pic of a clothes dryer fan but can't find one. I have a source for dryer parts for free.

I have an old Electrolux vacuum. No rheostat. Instead I use a tap. adjusts the air flow from none to full with precision.

The pic with the hood is how it looks now after the most resent re-vamp. I got the tap at a used Re-Store place for $2. My fire pot might look big to you, but I use wood for my fuel. The wheels are the latest addition.

4962.attach

4963.attach

4964.attach

4965.attach

4966.attach

4967.attach

• 11 years later...

Welcome aboard Johnnyd, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. Many questions have a strong regional component, where I live a "crop duster" is an airplane used to spray various chemicals, insecticides, herbicides, etc, etc. on large areas, say a farm. 

Without knowing where you live and just what you mean we can't give you a meaningful answer. We love to help but . . . ?

Frosty The Lucky.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:20 PM, Johnnyd5778 said:

I am also wondering about a crop duster as a forge blower but I have no clue the air output 

I have one of what I think you are talking about, but it lacks an arm for the crank. It gave quite a strong blast when I cranked it with a temporary handle. I'll try to rig something up and give it a try. I don't think the one I have would last particularly long in continuous use, though, as it is made of plastic. I'll report back once I have tried it. 

• 1 month later...

Because I use a ribbon burner, I don’t worry about CFM, I worry about Column Feet of pressure. Because of the expense and my sense of humor, I hooked up a 1hp Bounce House blower. 115v with 7CF of pressure. When I bought mine, it was $149, it is now $199 on EBay.

Providing we are talking about a solid fuel forge ... you need a centrifugal fan not an axial one. Pressure to push air through the coals is more important than volume.

My suggestion, bite the bullet and buy a Dayton blower.