I Forge Iron

Foot Powered Hammer???

I have used the original "the Best Treadle Hammers in Production". It turned 1/2 inch square into paper thin metal in 4 hits. The way it is set up, it gives you control to kiss the metal, smash it, or anything in between. All moving parts are precision made and replaceable from standard size stock.

How fast (blows per minute) can you get out of the Best Treadle Hammer? Their website actually doesn't have any info about it at all. How about your's Apprentice Man? Have you got it working effectively yet?

• 2 weeks later...
I have used the original "the Best Treadle Hammers in Production". It turned 1/2 inch square into paper thin metal in 4 hits. The way it is set up, it gives you control to kiss the metal, smash it, or anything in between. All moving parts are precision made and replaceable from standard size stock.

I went to the website. There is no information there about this product. I sent them an email, but haven't heard anything back. Whatzup?

I too would like more info on this hammer. I looked up the posted site and It's a dead stick, looks like it was just outlined and left, no info, no pics. So if I could I'd like some further info. I'd also like to ask you about the treadle hammer you built for Lady Smith(Pam, I guess is her name). I saw her post pics of a treadle hammer on Don Foggs web site and I'm wondering if this was built from a set of plans and if so what plans they might be? I'd be most greatful for any help you could give! viking-sword

"the Best Treadle Hammers in Production" is in no way dead! Sorry guys I have been having computer problems for the last couple of months. I can now be reached at trying_it@hotmail.com

As for the website presently being a little incomplete the reasoning is, because of this model's uniqueness, legal and binding patent rights are being applied for at this time.

A few facts about a BigFoot treadle hammer:
My 7-yr-old grand daughter easily flattens 6 soda cans at once, in one stomp, to a thickness of 1/8. A trial unit was sold and is used for fine copper repousse work. I myself prefer billet making and blacksmithing with my unit. One unit can do it all.

This is a foot-operated 165# hammer head with precise and consistent results. The harder you hit, the harder the force is multiplied and delivered. Furthermore, an optional air package is being designed now to replace the treadle mechanism if so desired. That will make it a fully functional air hammer. (note:This optional package will require a user supplied large capacity air source)

No advertisement hype:
I want you to stomp all the rest, then come here and step on the best.

An even bigger hammer is being designed that will be strictly dedicated to an on-board, fully contained, air supply and delivery system. This future unit's hammer should be in the 250# (or more) hammer range.

Just a little update:

My initial sales strategy of BigFoot treadle hammers was to demo a unit at any organized blacksmith event I was invited to attend; my travel & lodging expenses paid for by that group. I want everyone to try a working unit before actually purchasing one for themselves. I never considered the possibility of interest being generated so quickly outside of the continental U.S.A (I am now open to suggestions from those outside of the "Lower 48".)

After the demo session, orders would be taken from interested individuals. At a predetermined time & date I would return with the "purchased" units to that same location; I and the unit buyers (only) would fully assemble the units. It takes about 20 minutes to fully assemble one of my units. Being sold in a "kit" form, I am not subject to "product liability insurance premiums" that themselves would substantially increase unit selling price. The unit buyer would be responsible for final sanding, grinding, and painting of their own unit; another price savings. This also provides a window of opportunity for the individual buyer to personalize their unit.

The selling of plans is not an option at this time as there are hidden technical advances within these units. These advances are "Patent Pending" and each unit is stamped with that warning. (All unit buyers will be required to read, fully understand, and sign legally binding "non-disclosure / non-competition" forms.)

As a machine shop, job shop, owner/operator I have the facility and capacity to produce high quality precision equipment and tooling in a short period of time.

***My special interests today focus primarily on blacksmith needs and wants. ***

See the treadle hammer thread in the blacksmith forum: http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/treadle-hammer-build-pictures-4338/index6.html. He mentions 800 pounds there.

I'm wondering what they cost.

Yes, then there would be freight for some of us. But if you go with his marketing model all you have to do is organize a hammer-in or conference of some sort, host him at it, he takes orders and returns at a later date with everyone's product. Not a bad idea really. Just have to figure out break-even for the costs of having him at the event.

I don't think we could pull an event off of that scale here in Hawaii, especially with all the extra trans-pacific complications. Buying plans would make much more sense logistically (from a distant consumer's point of view).