I Forge Iron

Foot Powered Hammer???

If he holds a demo session in Calif, you could attend at the cost of plane fare, and the freight would only be from Ca to Hi. Doubt that they would allow it as carry-on luggage. (grin)

Great idea Glen. How about the CBA's Spring Conference in Vista this April? I hope to be there. I bring a lot back on the plane, but that beast sure wouldn't get on. I'm in NH/NY right now. Hoping to get two blowers (from eBay), one small farrier's anvil (from Craig's List) and an electric motor (for Tracy Mickley's no weld belt grinder) all checked in as luggage. Wish me luck!

But really, TRYING-IT would you be willing to consider the CBA Spring Conference? I bet they'd be glad to have you.

"But really, TRYING-IT would you be willing to consider the CBA Spring Conference? I bet they'd be glad to have you."

My contact info can be easily found in a lot of different places. (In this day & age where could a guy really hide?) To date no one from the CBA has contacted me to check on my seriousness and availability for the conference.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm a new member and I'm liking what I see. My hamster in my head has been running for a long time trying to come up with a design for a treadel hammer. Aprentice Man I realy like your design and now I have a idea of how to build it. Thanks

I have a treadle hammer I built about 13 years ago, using the ABANA plans. It has an 85 # head and it hits hard or soft ,whatever I want, whenever I want, no power required. I am a full time professional smith and I use this hammer a lot ; punching ,drifting, hot cutting, stamping, fullering etc. It has a 1'' square hardy hole like my anvil and fly press so the tooling is all interchangeable .
It strikes a nice square and parallel blow which makes it great for closing the hem on sheet metal projects as well.
The force of the blow was improved by bolting the hammer down to a heavy concrete footing with a rubber pad in between just like a power hammer.
This hammer cost me about $500 to build with all new material in 1985.
I have 3 power hammers from 25# to 200# and a couple of fly presses, but I would be very reluctant to give up my treadle hammer, it is simply too useful!