I Forge Iron

Need help identifying an anvil

Hi!

I'm just getting started getting the stuff together to start forging stuff, mainly knife blades since i've been making and selling knives for some time, but using ready made blades, i thought i'd take the step into trying making my own. So i got a forge, and i'm currently awaiting some other equipment.

I put in a ad in the paper, and this 90 year old farmer type called me and sold me a anvil. It looked like all hell, but it was surface rust and dirt only, it had a sound tone when given a proper whack with a hammer. Quite a lot of small dents, but it was basically something straight to beat upon), paid 70usd for it.

when i started polishing and removing the rust i saw some markings. I think i can make out "-kinson" on one side? and "12 10" on the other side. What could this be? I have no idea how old it is, how much it weighs (I'd guess it weighs something close to my own weight..80kg?), from what era or age it is.

Do any of you experts have an idea?

2016-06-10 22.25.47.jpg

2016-06-10 22.25.40.jpg

You have a steep learning curve, many here will help you, but be aware that we have feilded the same questions hundreds of times, and all of those answers are archived, so if some one who makes $70 an hour or more seems a little short and abrupt in their answers, remember they thought enugh of you to answer.  

I'm not using a sander on it or grinding at all. I figured it can probably be put in a nice state just using a steel wire brush and some rust remover and perhaps autosol. That should be ok?

It's a shame it has that damage on the back.

Wonder when it was made?

2016-06-09 19.43.50.jpg

2016-06-09 19.57.36.jpg

2 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

You have a steep learning curve, many here will help you, but be aware that we have feilded the same questions hundreds of times, and all of those answers are archived, so if some one who makes $70 an hour or more seems a little short and abrupt in their answers, remember they thought enugh of you to answer.  

I'm eternally grateful for any assistance i can get, and abrupt or not, i appreciate all hints or help. I'm just a humble newcomer who's trying to determine if i should feel ok with beating on this thing, or if it should be handled as a museum piece. I have really no clue. If this was geneology in lapland from the 1500s i'd know what i'm doing, but alas, it's not ;)

Cheers!

reply lost Grrrrrr

will try again

using a small hammer gently tap the top of the anvil all over and note changes in the sound ( it will be different at each end ) mark with chalk any places where the sound changes unexpectedly and inspect those places carefully as it may be a sign that the top is no longer attached to the body and using such areas can make them spread and bits break off like the chunk off one edge.

learn to use the anvils imperfections as features, you dont have a perfect anvil but it is very good value for what you paid.

if you need sharp edges and a smooth face make a hardy tool like I do in this thread

posting link seperatly

it dont like the link so go to the thread here in the anvils section titled

for those who must have sharp edges on anvils

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:45 PM, Fredrich Legnemark said:

from what era or age it is.

Often asked question and seldom a good answer,  I figure older than we are so treat it accordingly with care.  Most makers did not add serial Numbers for ID and unless there was a style change during production yrs. hard to pin it down.  Wilkenson  like all manufacturers produced between X and X I'm 200 miles from my copy of A in A to look it up.   

Sharp feet common on english anvils of the early 19th century and earlier but not as small as many of the 18th century anvil feel  So my *guess* is post 1800 and pre 1850

Now when is it appropriate to beat on  lapp genealogies from the 1500's and when should they be archived?  I'm very interested to know!