I Forge Iron

Ethical metals?

jfrost

I have just become aware of the unethical mining of precious metals and stones. But I can't seem to find more information regarding, for instance, iron and copper. How can I find out more about how the metals I work with are mined and make sure that I buy ethical or "eco" metals.

Anyone have good info on this?

Really only relevant if you are using virgin stock -- that is, straight from the ground to the furnace to you. Considering that steel and copper are among the most recycled materials out there and and also how much recycled material gets incorporated in smelting operations, I have a hard time imagining that virgin dimensional stock even exists at a consumer level.

2 minutes ago, JHCC said:

I have a hard time imagining that virgin dimensional stock even exists at a consumer level.

I'm pretty sure that copper and iron mining is going on. Surely it is being used for something?

It is, but as JHCC points out, it is most likely mixed with scrap, exept for the most technical of material. 

This is the nature of at steel, iron and copper, it has been recycled for mellinia. 

The best you can hope for is stock made in contries that at least attempt to regulate the pollution created by the steel plants.

as I don't deal in simi or pressius stones, I have no idea. 

Most industrial non-precious metals are mined in bulk. This would include iron, copper, zinc, lead, chrome, molybdenum etc. etc. The metal bearing ores are metal oxides, and sulfides. They are found in massive deposits.These metals are mined in bulk. Most often in open pit operations. They are mined by the hundreds of tons of ore every day The operations are huge and require massive machinery to produce a product that is competitively priced. Individual labor operations would not make economic sense. There is one exception. Coal. But most North American coal using smiths get their supplies from mines in the U.S., Canada, (& Mexico?)  Imported coal would be cost prohibitive  There is one exception. That is countries where prisoner labor is common like North Korea, China (in the past?). Russia, etc .Forced labor (or slave labor) makes no sense in such massive mining operations

Forced labor would be feasible where the minerals or gems are diffuse & can be  readily seen. Such mining is done by people searching the ground or digging up earth and extracting the visible metals & gems. These operations include placer gold deposits, stream tin river deposits, conflict diamonds, and opals & emeralds. Smiths primarily use mined and refined metals, Such as iron, copper etc.

The above-mentioned recycled metals are very common. They have no origin that is traceable

So the ethical questions, and concerns are not that great    SLAG.

2 hours ago, jfrost said:

I have just become aware of the unethical mining of precious metals and stones. But I can't seem to find more information regarding, for instance, iron and copper. How can I find out more about how the metals I work with are mined and make sure that I buy ethical or "eco" metals.

Anyone have good info on this?

Wondering if you carry a high level of investigation into all areas of your life about metal? Fabricated consumer products? Cars? In this global commerce era we live in I imagine it is about impossible to isolate the origin of all the raw materials. 

37 minutes ago, Culver Creek Hunt Club said:

Wondering if you carry a high level of investigation into all areas of your life about metal? Fabricated consumer products? Cars? In this global commerce era we live in I imagine it is about impossible to isolate the origin of all the raw materials. 

Yes, I am aware of this. But it is different to simply live in a society like this, and to make a living by producing items that depend on "dirty" industries. At least for me, there is a difference.

Research "mini mills".

Though responsible  for the collapse of the American steel manufacturing industry,  they run entirely on scrap and are often built near sources of scrap (industrial cities) hence reducing shipping costs (fuel waste)

Some other facts to ease your mind;

Iron is the most abundant elementin the earth, we have lots of it.

Iron is the most recycled substanceon earth, saving 95% of the energy of made from ore.

Iron is the most important element in manufacturing..There is almost nothing made without component iron (steel) or iron tooling.

So...be green, forge iron, the truly MOST pecious metal.

Now, onto the carbon cycle......

Yes, even forging can be green....

make your own charcoal. It is a GREAT fuel for forging and can be easilly made entirely from waste wood.

Any steel you buy, regardless of where it came from and the conditions it was mined in, is entirely insignificant. That industry does not rely on the few thousand dollars you may spend per year. Concious consumerism is not going to make any difference in this case. Just like coal, I am not a fan of coal mining at the extent and manner it is done. Especially mountaintop removal. I still chose to burn coal in my forge because the 3-4 tons I burn a year is not even a grain of sand next to the consumption of coal powered powerplants burning that same amount in minutes. 

Worry about that computer you are using *MUCH* worse "ethically" than using recycled scrap iron.  You are straining at gnats and swallowing camels!

Blacksmiths have been recyclers for several thousand years---Smiths recycled before recycling was *cool*!