I Forge Iron

De-rusting with vinegar

arkie

There have been several discussions on the merits (or demerits) of simply using vinegar to remove rust from steel.  I finally got around to shooting some before and after photos of VERY rusty horseshoes that I needed to de-rust to show how effective, simple and easy it is.  I do this all the time; cleaned up 13 horseshoes this go-round.

These had been laying around in the wet dirt for who-knows how long.  I wire brushed the loose stuff off with my anvil wire brush, removed any nails then covered them with regular white vinegar in a plastic bucket.  They soaked for a couple of days then I neutralized them with a weak baking soda solution, rinsed with water and dried.  I buffed the shoes with the wire wheel on a bench grinder and they shine like a new silver dollar (wish those were still silver...).

100_5974.JPG

100_5975.JPG

100_5986.JPG

Ayup, nice before and after pics. Vinegar is an excellent derusting chemical, it's been used I don't know how long, probably since we discovered iron.

Have you tried the same treatment using diluted 50% Naval Jelly soak.  Neutralize and rinse if you don't want a flat black "Parkerized" patina on the finished piece. No need to brush off the rust flakes first either but it leaves an interesting texture.

Frosty The Lucky.

Did you try it as a diluted soak? As a paint on rust treatment it works entirely differently. Soak or paint on the finish is quite different from vinegar. I use vinegar a lot myself, it works a treat.

Frosty The Lucky.

Might help, can't hurt, more than the price of a small bottle of Naval Jelly.

I discovered the surfacants and the thickener make it work better than dilute phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in Naval Jelly.

Frosty The Lucky.

7 minutes ago, arkie said:

Hey, Frosty....I just realized why the Naval Jelly wasn't working for me!!!!!!  I was putting it in my navel !! :o

You are one DIFFERENT kind of guy Arkie I usually have to explain to guys that Naval Jelly isn't the . . .stuff they pick OUT of their navels. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Speaking of citrus....citric acid also works to remove scale.  It's commonly sold here amongst the canning supplies, comes in powder form.  I have mixed it with warm water and left items to soak overnight in it, did a great job.  Pull from the bath, scrub off the scale lightly with a scouring pad, done.  I've used it when I was out of my go-to vinegar.