I Forge Iron

Considering buying???

I got one of those from Harbor Freight years ago. Less than $20. Not sure it's steel, regardless of what the sticker says. Rather soft, makes a dull thud when struck. Made of whatever the magnet pulled out of the scrap pile.

I use it to hold my desk lamp.

anvil%20013_zpso438i1cy.jpg

At least there's that. Lol. 

I think I've decided to just go with a nice long piece of railroad track.  Fairly cheap and it will start me hammering.  I have a big job coming up and overtime will be used for an actual anvil.  I found a Turkish farrier's anvil for $350.  Free shipping on top of that. 

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:56 PM, Ubba Bloodaxe said:

Would this be a good starter anvil

depends on what your going to use it for. straightening nails, yes. forging anything bigger that 1/4 in. probably not. keep your eyes open for something better- it looks rather small, but that mainly depends on what you plan on doing.

Littleblacksmith

I have to agree with finding a steel block or using rail on end. I used a 16" piece of rail on end for a few years before I found the anvil I bought and could've gone longer if I had to. Truth is I still have that rail and I'm thinking about using it for my son if he decides he wants to try when he gets a little older (he turns three in July so I still have a couple years).

1 minute ago, Michael Cochran said:

I have to agree with finding a steel block or using rail on end. I used a 16" piece of rail on end for a few years before I found the anvil I bought and could've gone longer if I had to. Truth is I still have that rail and I'm thinking about using it for my son if he decides he wants to try when he gets a little older (he turns three in July so I still have a couple years).

So turning the track on end will reduce the working area but increase the mass under the hammer strike?  

11 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

If it's cast iron I wouldn't pay US$20 for it; if it's cast steel I'd be happy to have it in my shop.  Unfortunately I don't think the seller knows enough to say what it really is.

Keeping my fingers crossed.  I think it's steel.  Is there a test I can do to truly determine the makeup and quality? 

I see what looks like several welds seams in that one that makes me think it's actually hollow. I'd ask the seller to send a picture of the bottom and ask if it's solid or hollow.

Try looking at the local scrap yards machine shops etc for a solid chunk of steel. It'll be cheaper and easier in the long run.