I Forge Iron

Bocksblech

templehound

33 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Probably hot or cold bluing like is done on Guns, (and I once had a maille shirt hot blued...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it eventually wear and need to be redone from time to time? I haven't worked with the stuff yet due to the moving madness, btu it was a suggestion from my pattern-welding class.

Yup not seen a lot for "using blades" but ifn you are spending over US$5000 for a pocket knife you probably won't be using it to pioneer with...Just like guns that are blued and get used require redoing as needed.  The above is a beautiful knife but would not be my daily carry if I owned it---maybe I'd wear it when I went to church on Sundays if I was dressing up.

On 3/15/2016 at 11:26 AM, Depuuty said:

If I've learned one thing from this forum

everyone has a different taste 

Whatever that might mean....

On 3/15/2016 at 10:12 PM, LibrariaNPC said:

I have to ask: how did you get the blade to be/stay dark? Just curious as it came up in conversation with a new colleague when they found out I do this as a hobby (still unpacking after the move, so haven't hit anything lately).

Cold gun blue of any brand works well.

On 3/15/2016 at 10:32 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Probably hot or cold bluing like is done on Guns, (and I once had a maille shirt hot blued...)

Thomas, with respect to the tempering of the blade (cold work tungsteen tool steel, max.temper at 230 degrees)I would not recommend blued hot, which, as far as I know starts at 300 Degrees.

On 3/15/2016 at 11:09 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Yup not seen a lot for "using blades" but ifn you are spending over US$5000 for a pocket knife you probably won't be using it to pioneer with...Just like guns that are blued and get used require redoing as needed.  The above is a beautiful knife but would not be my daily carry if I owned it---maybe I'd wear it when I went to church on Sundays if I was dressing up.

...a bit sinister for church, isn't it?

34 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Bocksblech. Say that 5 times fast. 

I managed but started to drool a bit by number four.

That's a really nice looking knife temple hound. It has rough yet finished look to me, if that makes any sense. 

On 3/18/2016 at 10:54 PM, Daswulf said:

So... Um, what's a Goat's Sheet?

Sometimes it is a bit difficult translating something like "Bocksblech" into English,especially when it is something like Black Forest South German hill billy stuff ...but let me try.....

Bock = He-Goat, Buck, ...in this case : Capricorn (english) = Steinbock (german)...so it translates directly : stone buck, stone goat....( it leads to the scales made out of capricorn horn (engl) or Steinbockhorn (german) buck or goat, I choosed goat because it sounds more rugged..(to me as a German)

Blech = sheet, thin piece of metal, iron, steel,( metal plate, tin, brass)....so the thin piece of metal(Blech) is the blade.....

so we take the "Bock"-scales and the "Blech"-sheet put them together and we have the "Bocksblech" not forgetting an additional "s" for correct German spelling.

Hope that helps to understand the term.

Perhaps someday templehound will add a location to his profile

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2016 at 10:37 PM, Daswulf said:

Thank you for the explanation Templehound. I get it. And great work. 

Daswulf, You are welcome, Thanks again!

On 4/1/2016 at 9:49 AM, Jonah k said:

Great knife! love the partially rough scales 

Thank You Jonah!