I Forge Iron

First forge

Brian923

So I was able to pick up my first forge today. It's a little rough but I think I got a good deal on it. I am brand new to blacksmithing but can't wait to start heating some things up and making stuff. I picked up this forge with an electric drive blower, (needs a new motor) a bucket of hammers and tongs, 30 farriers rasp, some swages and hardy tools and about 2000 pounds of miscellaneous steel (anywhere from angle iron to 40 pounds pieces) for $240. The hood is handmade from the previous owner but the whole forge tub/body is solid cast iron. 

20160305_131243.jpg

20160305_131912.jpg

2016-03-05 17.19.21.jpg

wow! that's a great deal. could we see a picture of the hammers and swages, thanks for sharing.

Littleblacksmith

Here are some pics of the miscellaneous items I was able to pick up...the rasps say "save edge" U.S.A, b save edge find land and Simonds race trak.. trying to see if any of these would make good candidates for rasp knives 

20160307_162307.jpg

20160307_162442.jpg

20160307_162446.jpg

20160307_162927.jpg

20160307_162905.jpg

20160307_163013.jpg

heat up a small piece of the rasps and quench it to see if it hardens, if so than it would probably be good-most of the older files are good steel, also the newer ones.

Littleblacksmith

:o your on a roll with finding nice start up forge stuff. Now make time and get it set up and start forging. It doesn't do anything sitting there all nice and pretty. You make it make stuff. Great scores. Now get to work! :)