I Forge Iron

Age limit at blacksmith group meetings

• 3 years later...

I'm sure you could google something like "waiver for minor dangerous activity" or maybe even blacksmithing. Most wavers are just the same thing with key words changed out. 

Just realized that may come out like a "minor dangerous" activity. But you get the gist. 

A lot depends on the kid and where they grew up. Many times a farm kid is running a $200,000 + combine and working the the field all day long before he can get a drivers license. They can take care of the farm animals, give then shots, worm them, and etc,  This includes animal husbandry from conception to delivery.

Each kid is an individual and when given the opportunity, they will surprise you.  

Thomas:  The key factor is a successful lawsuit.  I can sue anyone for pretty much anything but whether I can do that successfully is a whole 'nother question.  A well drafted waiver can make a successful lawsuit very improbable.  The key issue is whether the person signing the waiver truly knew what they were doing.  Did they really understand all the circumstances and the danger of the activity?  That is the core of litigation issues surrounding the validity of a waiver of liability.  Was the waiver "knowing and intelligent?"

That said, much of the value of a waiver is to discourage litigation.  The existence of a signed waiver will often make a person think twice before getting involved in a legal dispute.  Also, an attorney may want a larger retainer up front if he or she knows there is going to be a fight about the validity of a waiver.

Also, you are correct that there are some things you can't waive as a matter of public policy.  For example, you can't sign away your civil rights.  A waiver allowing an employer to discriminate against you for your race, gender, disability, political affiliation, age, etc. would be void on its face.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."