I Forge Iron

Small Straight Peen

NickOHH

Forged a couple of hammers today out of 1.25" torsion bar today, one straight peen and one ball peen, both come in around 1 pound, be good for Marcy, and good practice for me before i jump into some bigger ones. Pictures of the ball peen and after they are finished on the way, gonna grind and heat treat tomorrow afternoon. 

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

i ground the first 2 yesterday and did the heat treating, after of course i forged a 1# cross peen. Then today i stepped it up a bit and cut off a peice of 1.75" 4140 that came home with us after visiting Rthibeau up in michigan, gotta put it on a scale still but should be right around 2.5#, Diagonal peen, gotta grind it and the cross peen before they get hardened and tempered. gonna have to get on some handles soon. IMG_0962.thumb.JPG.77ec175bea68a063d6598

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

2 hours ago, Crazy Ivan said:

Good work bud! You must have had an excellent lesson or two from a very talented and devilishly charming blacksmith to make those ;D lol. Keep em coming! 

Haha, yea something like that B) told ya I was there to learn !

2 hours ago, Everything Mac said:

Awesome work Nick! Well done mate. 

Oddly enough I had a buddy come visit the other day and we had a crack at making some tools too. 

All the best 

Andy

Thank ya! Let's see some of these tools y'all did!! 

39 minutes ago, Ethan the blacksmith said:

those look wonderful! do you have the assistance of a striker?

Thanks Ethan, getting the hang of em, no striker for these, just me, a and a 6 pound hammer, got my work out in.

Nice work Nick!

How are you holding the chunks of hot bar in place when you are making the original slits?  I've been thinking about trying to make a hammer or two, but without a helper I'm picturing hot metal dancing off the anvil with every strike since I haven't grown that third arm yet.  Did you build a hold down especially for this or am I missing something really simple here?

10 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

Nice work Nick!

How are you holding the chunks of hot bar in place when you are making the original slits?  I've been thinking about trying to make a hammer or two, but without a helper I'm picturing hot metal dancing off the anvil with every strike since I haven't grown that third arm yet.  Did you build a hold down especially for this or am I missing something really simple here?

I came up with a simple solution, slightly flattend it on 4 sides to make it easier to hold with the tongs and to to sit flat on the anvil , then used a small hardy swage to keep it from moving around and helped keep the punch square. Worked great.

10 hours ago, ForgeMan32 said:

Punching hammer eyes alone is very tedious work. They look great and just think your swinging arm will be big as your leg before long .lol. hek it must already be if your forging hammers alone.

I'm gonna have to learn to swing left handed too so I don't get to lop sided, it did take so determination to punch but overall wasn't TOO bad.

1 hour ago, Forging Carver said:

Nice work! Did you pick up a bit of techniques when you visited rthibeu? Also, did you grind the radius of the peen or form it with a swage. I know a lot of guys do it different ways.

i got inspired to make some hammers out at richards, and he gave me the 4140 , then we came home and i had a couple lessons from crazy ivan, stole his large radius peen, really liking it. it was just ground on a belt sander, could be forged into a swage and cut down the grinding.

27 minutes ago, rthibeau said:

"very talented and devilishly charming blacksmith"  ???  where in the world is one of them???

OBTW, nice hammers Nick

lol!! thank ya richard, maybe the next one i wont fuller so much :D