I Forge Iron

S & B flypress

Tom of All Trades

I am new to this forum, and I thought I would post some work I am doing on the flypress. Recently I disassembled my flypress for cleaning and a re-paint. The ram dissasembles from the screw in a manner I have not scene posted on the web. Two dovetailed strips of steel needed to be drifted from the ram I order to remove two triangular retaining clips. I do not know what size the press is, but the screw is 2.5" in diameter.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sorry for the sideways pics.

Were the slides just held in place by the little punch marks on the top edge of the dovetail?

It is over thirty years ago that I rebuilt my presses...I seem to remember they had a split collar/sleeve with a locknut.

Yours is a Sweeny and Blocksedge is it? 

Alan

Yes, Sweeny and Blocksedge. I saw the split collar/sleeve from another Sweeny and Blocksedge flypress images on this site. This press has the same type of screw termination that fits in the ram.Those dovetail strips are in there really tight, and they were difficult to drift out (slightly easier to put back).

-Tom

Some original pics (before paint)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yes, that is what I have scene online as far as the raw/screw attachment. My paint looked exactly like that. There was at least six layers of paint on mine. Gray, white, shades of blue, and black as the first layer. It was punched with "Sweeney's Patent" underneath the check nut. Yours, like mine, has that Gothic arch as part of the casting where the name is placed.

• 3 years later...

Glad to have found this thread. I just picked up a Sweeney & Blocksidge press recently that has the same keyway in the ram to hold the lead screw in place. It's supposed to be a number 6 but it's not marked anywhere other than having the S&B nameplate. The leadscrew is sized consistently with other presses in the 6-8 range though. This particular press only seems to have one key on the right side of the ram. Do you know if taking the lead screw has to be in a particular position to remove and or replace it once the key and the triangular holder are removed? I've been a bit hesitant to dismantle it until I know for sure.

I've also tried to find more information about the difference between the 'split nut' mechanism and the keyed mechanism but I cannot find anything on the subject. I supposed the keyed mechanism is an older method?

74412756_10158009752251614_6612534741298053120_n.jpg

Turns out, my fly press has 2 dovetail slots as well, so much grease on the other side was hiding that one. I've asked several knowledgeable people and none of them are very familiar with this style of ram/lead screw connection. I wonder if this was original, or some kind of 'retro fit' to fix a broken split nut?

On 10/31/2019 at 10:56 AM, Derek Melton said:

This particular press only seems to have one key on the right side of the ram.

Is it just me, or do I see the witness of a second dovetail in your image? In my observation, I would say that there HAS to be a second dovetail.

Note that the OP has driven the dovetails out from the backside with the ram in the raised position.

If you are mechanically handy, patient and careful, you should have no trouble with the takedown.  Good luck,

Robert Taylor

22 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

Is it just me, Robert Taylor

Right! When I posted this I'd just gotten the press and thick, old grease was hiding the dovetail slot on the other side. My press is just like the OP's press, two slots with 'C' shaped pieces that capture the ram. I've since completely dismantled the press, soaked all the parts in Evaporust and I'm waiting for some help to mount the frame on the new table I fabricated before painting and re-assembling it.  It's been extremely difficult to find any information about presses with this particular mechanism. Besides the OP here, and my press I cannot find pics or any evidence anywhere else online of a fly press using this type of leadscrew/ram connection. I've spoken to Ian Brooks at WestCoast Flypresses and he says he's heard about them before but hasn't given any other information. The guy in the UK that runs 'usedflypresses.com' says "Someone did that to fix the press after the split nut broke."  If that's the case, then both my press and the OP's press were probably repaired by the same person/company. I'm still not sure I believe that though. When I look down into the top of the ram, there are no threads visible. There are concentric rings but they're very faint, very light and don't look to be threads as much as machine marks. Who knows, perhaps it is a repair and someone bored the top hole out and mostly removed the threads. The connection seems to be well made though and again, if this is a repair I believe both of these S&B presses were repaired or modified by the same place. It's pretty interesting either way. My press is an unmarked S&B with a 2.4 inch leadscrew and other indicators which make me believe it's at least a size 8 press. It's apparently been in use with this mechanism for quite some time so I'm not worried about it but boy is it interesting!

IMG_7162.JPG

IMG_7164.JPG

IMG_7166.JPG

IMG_7170.JPG