I Forge Iron

Electrolysis tips welcome

Michael Cochran

I bought several hammer heads yesterday at an auction and decided to try electrolysis to clean away a bunch of the rust. That said I don't have a car battery charger but I do have a 12v power supply I'm planning on tryin and I have the other things I need for the project but I wanted to get tips from someone who's done this before. I'm rounding up the stuff I need now but I don't wanna start runnin it today if it's gonna take several hours of babysitting to get done. Also any special warnings I may not have seen while browsing online would be greatly appreciated.

See if this helps........               Dave

Mod Note

Link removed as it suggests using stainless in the set up.

The main problem with using stainless is the hazardous waste it produces. Stainless steel contains chromium. The electrodes, and thus the chromium is consumed, and you end up with poisonous chromates in your electrolyte. Dumping these on the ground or down the drain is illegal. The compounds can cause severe skin problems and ultimately, cancer. Hexavalent chromate is poisonous. These compounds are not excused from hazardous waste regulations where household wastes are.

USE CAUTION when you get information from the internet. LYE is not something to be played with unless you know what you are doing. Use personal protection equipment, and KNOW how to neutralize any splash or spill. If you have to ask then you do not know, and need to do a LOT more research

DO NOT use stainless as it produces hazmet materials that are nasty.

Thanks for the pointers. I started small and I'm doin one of the duplicate size ballpiens just to get a feel for the process. If all goes well with it I'll put together a setup for the rest of the ballpiens and think about the claw hammers. I have plenty of claw hammers already but who knows I might just wanna use one of those old ones for somethin one day lol.

If you are considering obtaining a battery charger in the future for your electrolysis projects, keep in mind that you will need a "manual" charger.  Old ones are usually manual.  The newer "automatic" chargers have sensing circuitry that checks (1) to see if you are indeed connected to a battery and (2) if the battery is low and needs a charge.  When you connect to the electrolysis setup, the newer automatic chargers don't detect a battery and won't work properly with electrolysis.  Some of the newer chargers have both a manual AND automatic mode, so just use the manual mode.

Michael, most of the electrolysis can be done with amperage anywhere from around 2 amps (slowwww...) to as high as 6-8-10 amps depending on how fast you want to de-rust.  I haven't seen or read of anyone using more amps than that.  I use a 6 amp manual and it does OK.

• 6 months later...

Neutrilizing the electrolyte isn't really necessary unless you're using something dangerous say lye or sulfuric acid, those aren't necessary don't use them. A little baking soda or table salt, even sugar will work. (NO I'm not recommending sugar as an electrolyte just that it will . . .  "work")

What happens when you use electrolysis the clean surface is exposed on a molecular scale so it WILL react chemically virtually instantly. Remove your parts from the bath, rinse it, wipe dry and oil it immediately. You need to keep the air off it until you're ready to paint, plate, assemble it, etc. Heck, spray furniture polish works a treat so does Pam, whatever you use you need to keep air off it or it will flash rust fast enough to watch.

Frosty The Lucky.