I Forge Iron

2.5 lb cross pein commission

Crazy Ivan

Here is a freshly finished and shipped 2.5 lb cross pein hammer. I took inspiration for this one from an old B&O railroad straight pein I used to own. The handle is going to be a standard shape on all my future hammers. It has a great feel and balance. Forged from 4150 with a broad radius on the cross pein. What do y'all think? 

123_1.jpeg

123_1_2.jpeg

123_1_3.jpeg

123_1_4.jpeg

123_1_5.jpeg

1 minute ago, Crazy Ivan said:

Here is a freshly finished and shipped 2.5 lb cross pein hammer. I took inspiration for this one from an old B&O railroad straight pein I used to own. The handle is going to be a standard shape on all my future hammers. It has a great feel and balance. Forged from 4150 with a broad radius on the cross pein. What do y'all think? 

I think you forgot to post the picture :)

30 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Ohhh crud!!! I forgot to mention, NickOHH helped to strike on this one. Thanks Nick! You did well, especially for our 1st time working together. No bruises on my knuckles is more than I can credit some folks I've had strike for me lol. Thanks for the help bud! 

7 minutes ago, JME1149 said:

Very attractive hammer, looks like it will move metal well. You need to put your touchmark on those babies.

I agree, but what I really need is $180 to send out for it lol. I am not able to make a decent stamp since my logo is a bit too tight for my hands to do well. Meticulous small work is not something I enjoy all that much lol. 

Ivan,

Nice hammer! I like the handle, have to spend a few hours with it to see how it feels. But very nice. My handles are much more boring....I hear ya about the touch mark, I've never gotten around to it either. Maybe one day. I like the heavier forging too much to stop and try to make one. Beautiful work, me dig...

D

you should be able to get more that 180 for them!

36 minutes ago, Crazy Ivan said:

I agree, but what I really need is $180 to send out for it lol. I am not able to make a decent stamp since my logo is a bit too tight for my hands to do well. Meticulous small work is not something I enjoy all that much lol. 

54 minutes ago, Crazy Ivan said:

Ohhh crud!!! I forgot to mention, NickOHH helped to strike on this one. Thanks Nick! You did well, especially for our 1st time working together. No bruises on my knuckles is more than I can credit some folks I've had strike for me lol. Thanks for the help bud! 

My pleasure, Glad I could make it up, I learned a ton, can't wait to try forging more of my own in fact I forged a proper hammer eye drift outta a jackhammer bit. 

image.jpg

Just now, NickOHH said:

My pleasure, Glad I could make it up, I learned a ton, can't wait to try forging more of my own in fact I forged a proper hammer eye drift outta a jackhammer bit. 

image.jpg

Awesome! I'm glad you learned something AND got excited about forging your own. That 4130 you got will make a nice few hammers. I hope you took something away from my "oh shoot!" Moment when the balance was off on the hammer and saw how I addressed it. That is a difficult thing to learn IMO. 

6 minutes ago, matto said:

Pete great hammer it is very clean lined and has a great natural and organic look.  Really see a craftsman/artist mind and skill set in the hammer.  

Thank you! You should expect to see yours in the mail within a week or two. 

It's what happens when you sketch an idea on a block of wood and let the bladesmith standing next to you (who views everything in terms of ergonomic functionality) take your basic idea to the grinder at 190mph.. and then hands it back with a bunch of 80 grit paper and says "here, you can hand sand it" lol :)

-J

22 minutes ago, jumbojak said:

Pretty much what JWS said lol. I sketched a rough design on a handle blank (rectangular rough cut wood) and realized I didn't have a draw knife anymore (I'll make one asap) so JWS offerered to rough it out for me. The design is inspired by Jymm Hoffman's hammer handles which I tried and loved back in June when I was in Pittsburgh. The function of the knob is to aid in a solid grip while maintaining loose grip on the handle. There is also a bulge at the end on the handle for the same reason. The bulge under the hammer head is mostly aesthetic to compliment the lines of the hammer. 

I might just try a similar pattern for a hammer I'm in the process of rehandling. As the collection grows - my trips to the ReStore have yielded a bountiful harvest of cheap second hand tools lately - I have the opportunity to try a few interesting designs. If it doesn't work for me I can look still forward to a few raised eyebrows when visitors drop by and have a look at the hammer rack!

Great looking hammer by the way. It looks like something to hang on a wall, though I'm sure it would be a terrible waste of a fine tool to do so.