I Forge Iron

Simple Key File Management Solution

KRS

If you are looking for software solution to organize digital files I am sorry, this is not the topic you are looking for

I never had a satisfying solution to store my key files in way that

-they don´t touch each other

-they are visible so I don´t have to search very long

-is cheap and fast to make

-is extensible

Behold, the Multichamber File Management System, MC-FMS:

vyzMST0.jpg

Over 40 files in those 2 displays.

I used left-overs from some Multichamber roofing sheets, cut them to length and taped one side shut.
Done.

Very good, I cringe at the sound of file on file.

One layer in a drawer is fine provided you take them out and replace them without rubbing them together...I seemed to be the only one that ever learnt that skill in my workshop...maybe it has something to do with buying the replacements. So I made a rack for the visitors.

My rack is just a series of Ø6mm (Ø1/4") fingers welded to a back bar bolted to the wall. It does have the advantage over yours that it is unaffected by angle grinding sparks. Yours has the advantages of individual pockets which prevent even the most clumsy operator scraping file against file, and also mobility...you can take the set to the job, and remove it from the line of angle grinding sparks...top marks!

Alan

19 minutes ago, Takeru691 said:

Is it really that bad to let the files touch each other? I might need to consider a better storage solution for my files then.

Files by their very nature are meant to cut steel. If the slide around and rub each other long enough they will chip teeth or dull themselves. It would be like taking a piece of hardened steel and dragging a file across that which we all know is a big no no.

Thanks for the kind words

You all know the guy at the flea market with a box of files, all thrown in?

I cry every time...

Alan, I think you misjudged the size, most are 100mm files, ~140mm total length.

I put them in a drawer when I am done, for the regular files a rake system like yours is best practice, no doubt

Keep them sharp

Chris

Your files are your tools you can do whatever you like with them; just as you can light your forge with US$100 bills and leave all your doors and windows open when you are heating your house.  Most of us tend to prefer to spend out money on other things than replacing tools that basic care would make last for decades.  (I have files of brands that haven't been made in 50 years that are still sharp and *nice*!)

Alan, I think you misjudged the size, most are 100mm files, ~140mm total length.

Nope! recognised them as similar to my jewellery/silversmithing/non ferrous files...and also your 100mm second cut German lock/key files box rather gives the game away! :)

My most used file is from the USA, a beautiful 10" Nicholson (I think) no.6 cut flat file. I don't think they make that size of file with that fine a cut any more. I found it in an odds and sods bin in Sutton's Jewellers' tool shop in the 1970s and found it was superb for producing clean flat surfaces and regularising any convex form in my silverwork...much easier than a 6" or needle file to control...I could not replace it try as I might...until in the same bin in the same shop 5 or 6 years later, joy of joys, there were a few more old stock ones...which are now waxed and wrapped in Ban-rust paper in the drawer just awaiting the time when I start on smaller softer metalwork again!

Alan