I Forge Iron

Fisher Anvil ID Help please.

Hello all! I have a new to me anvil I am trying to identify the weight an rough date of, I believe the manufacturer is Fisher. The flat rectangular portion of the face is 6" x 21". My son and I have looked for numbers with no luck(turning the thing upsidedown is the only thing we haven't done). I also wanted to know if the stand was from Fisher as well.

The only other info I have is that this anvil came out of one of the Bethlehem Steel buildings in Lebanon, Pa. (My hometown) when they were shut down in the 70's.

IMG_20151231_112936722.jpg

IMG_20151231_113000773.jpg

IMG_20151231_113006536.jpg

That is one seriously gorgeous Fisher!  I would love to have something like that, especially from the Bethlehem Steel works.  And the stand is just dreamy.  Coming from a big operation like the BSW, fabricating a stand wouldn't have been much of a chore.  Is the stand a Fisher???  Well, if there are cut-outs for the lugs, I would have expected Fisher to include some means to use those lugs to bolt the anvil down.  Otherwise, the stand might be something repurposed from somewhere else.

VaughnT, I think the way the anvil fits into the stand it would have to be from the same manufacturer as the anvil itself. The cut outs in the base line up with bumpouts on the base of the anvil and there are holes that line up for a bolt to connect the two together. I looked all over the interwrbs before posting here and I couldn't find another like it. 

My friend that I bartered with for this and many other items bought it from the widow of a BSW shop foreman, he either bought or took it home when they closed the doors.

I will look tomorrow to see if I can find anymore numbers on this guy. Thanks, Jason

7 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Nice Fisher. My main anvil is a 260# Fisher that was made in 1907. I love how quiet it is.

I have also been looking for a French fry cutter like the one on the cabinet.

Cabelas sells the french fry cutters. I think it was 49 bucks when I picked it up. Makes quick work when it's tater cutting time.

The cut-outs for the lugs would have been easy enough for any decent shop hand, but if there are corresponding holes for a through-bolt.... that gives me the notion that it might be Fisher OEM.  I've not seen a lot of Fisher stands and don't know how common they were back in the day.  I wouldn't be surprised if they offered it as an option, especially for large industrial anvils like you've got.

I'd love to have been able to walk through the Bethlehem steel plant back in the day.  I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and always enjoyed roaming through the closed/dilapidated factories I could (ah, to be young again!).  

I know about the regular locations to get a cutter like that, I'm just too cheap .... :-)  I'm looking for that garage sale bargain basement priced vintage one. I just about have a commercial kitchen, that I have equipped off of Craigslist, auctions, and estate sales. That is one nice thing about being near a big city that has tons of restaurants. 

NJanvilman here on the forum is the owner of the Fisher Norris museum, and he also has a FB page for it. He will know if what you have is Fisher stand or not.

According to Original Equipment Specs, a 6" x 21" face should be a 350 lb Fisher anvil.  Yes, it is a Fisher.  There might be a date on the sloping part under the heel.  That is the year it was made.

No, the stand is not an original Fisher stand.  You can see where someone modified it by cutting out the frame for the mounting lugs.  They did a good job.  I doubt that with 350 lbs, and the snug fit, it would move at all.  Any further bolting is not needed.

Yes, your anvil appears to be in exceptional shape.  Do not do anything to it except use it!

1 hour ago, njanvilman said:

According to Original Equipment Specs, a 6" x 21" face should be a 350 lb Fisher anvil.  Yes, it is a Fisher.  There might be a date on the sloping part under the heel.  That is the year it was made.

No, the stand is not an original Fisher stand.  You can see where someone modified it by cutting out the frame for the mounting lugs.  They did a good job.  I doubt that with 350 lbs, and the snug fit, it would move at all.  Any further bolting is not needed.

Yes, your anvil appears to be in exceptional shape.  Do not do anything to it except use it!

Thanks for the information! 

Hi,

Am introducing myself upon reading the response  by NJanvilman, I just had to ask a couple of questions.  I'm the new owner of what I think is a fisher. It is 300 lbs or more.  Can't weigh it and there are no markings.  Pics attached.  Specs are 28.5" long work surface 5.5" wide,.5" long, height is 11.5", Hardy hole is 1.25 x 1.25. Pritchel is 5/8".  From the specs and pics, can you confirm what I have?

Thanks.  Jerry

IMG_5961.JPG

IMG_5960.JPG

IMG_5955.JPG

IMG_5957.JPG

IMG_5962.JPG

IMG_5966.JPG

Edited by jerryt
spelling

34 minutes ago, WL smith said:

I know what it is! It is a winner1

Truckman, I need to apologize for horning in on your thread,  Sorry. .  You have a beautiful anvil.  My excitement carried me away, I guess.

Jerry