I Forge Iron

Rail road spikes

Tempered Warrior

You can buy them new from various vendors, and they are not that expensive. McMaster Carr will be pricier than some, but they had them the last time I looked.

There really is no way of knowing how they were obtained, unless they have some documentation from who they got them from.

• 2 weeks later...

Walk some tracks. Get them for free. That's what I do. 

ADMIN NOTE:

Why are you confessing to committing a felony?  We do not support thievery. Walking the RR tracks IS trespassing.  Picking up anything from RR track property is considered stealing by the RR police, and a felony in many places.

In practical terms:

Pick up a few from the tracks: technically illegal, but unlikely to result in prosecution (unless the RR cops are right there and in a bad mood).

Pick up a whole lot and try to sell them to a scrap dealer: expect a call from the cops.

Purchase the railroad in a leveraged buyout, liquidate the assets (including the spikes), and restructure the debt as securities derivatives that ordinary folk then loose their savings on: retire to a golf course community outside Austin.

I bought a few from FLT Geosystems last year. I think i paid 1.06 each for them back then but now they are 1.99 each.  

I started with Spikes as well, and quickly moved away from them when I realized I could not properly harden and temper them, Still have like 6 of them floating around my shop, they make excellent wedges for splitting logs, And plan to forge weld high carbon bits into them to make some tomahawks with once I have the ability to drift something larger then the current hardie hole on my anvil will support which is about 1/2 inch. 

"retire to a golf course community outside Austin"  Sounds like a punishment to me!  Also note that "conspiracy to commit a misdemeanor" may be a felony too.

If they are going to be a standard item for you, buying a keg new will get you a lot of very nice one of known properties.  

This is not meant to hijack the thread but I had almost the same question.  I know rusted old spikes are a crap shoot but how do you know if the new ones are HC? 

The description from McMaster Carr says "These steel spikes are manufactured according to AREA (American Railroad Engineering Association) specifications."

Even high carbon spikes are considered mild steel. They are just higher carbon than regular spikes. As I understand it, the HC spikes are used on curves, the regular ones on the straights.

They do not make good knives. If you want an edge, you will have to forge weld a better steel to the edge.

if i remember correctly rr spikes are .18% carbon (1018 aka mild steel) and hc spikes are around .3% carbon (1030) both of which are considered mild steel. you would be better off cutting up a piece of track to make your tooling. IIRC track is similar to 1050 series, still not hc but good for tooling.