I Forge Iron

Frog Pond's new forge!

FrogPondForge

Looks really good, you and your dad did a great job. Can't wait to see it in action. By the way, where do you live, country or state? It will help us (The Forum Community) to better help you. Just go to your User CP and then select your location. Otherwise, ask for help with it. I also can't wait to see your first piece out of the fire.

Good Luck

COOL! You did this with your Dad? That's awesome! You guys are going to have a great time together in all of this. "Old washdown tub made into a forge", are you sure that's not vice-versa? Looks like a pretty nice forge made into a washdown tub and then reinvented as a forge again!
You don't have to pinpoint your driveway on the map but at least tell us what state you live in.
LOOKS GREAT!
BTW- can I have the scrap???;)Dan.

Good looking job. Let us know how it works. From the looks of the material used for the firepot it should last into the year 3500! maybe longer! :) It appears to me that you may have some problem with the air holes being that large (as mentioned earlier) and also where the ash dump is the air inlet pipe may get plugged up varly easy as it appears to be too close to the bottom of the ash dump. These may or may not be problems but something to address if you do have problems. Should be easy fixes though. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Tom tells me that he is getting some reaction. I thought I'd better take a look. Thanks for all of the input. There is a page of the torch machine pics here:
Torch

And another project I did with it here:
http:www//.accuratepower.com/Rest

There are a few threads about it on related boards out there, I'll try to dig them up. It has been a few years since I built it, I have forgotten most everything, except how to use it.

I've been thinking about the hole sizes in my grate for a while. I used this pic as a guide:
TUYERE.jpg
I figured I could make a bunch of different plates to drop on top of it, if it turned out to be way too much. I think I'll draw and burn some to try out. Maybe one with a slot off to one side for a little "side draft". Tom fired it up yesterday and things seemed to be going "OK". With the ShopVac slowed as far as it would go, it still doesn't take long to get things HOT. Maybe it will be a coal-eater in the long run. Walk away from it for a few minutes and it'll burn steel, but keep a close eye on things and there is not alot of waiting. I think he will be alright when he gets the hang of it. It will surely be easier to block some off than to open them up, so I erred that way.
Regarding the ash dump, I wish I had a longer and smaller chunk of scrap for it, I went with what was laying around. Clogging the air pipe doesn't seem to be a factor. Open the door and kick the vac on at full power and the ash just flies out. The real issue is that the hinges are at the bottom of it all. Grit will get packed in there a little. If you flop it open and shut a few times with the blower on, it does clear this out too. You can also adjust the volume a little by proping it open a tad. I'm sure he/I will be fine tuning a bit.
And yes, that really is all just a bunch of junk I had laying around. I sat on that washdown tray for 20yrs.. And to think, my wife says I should throw some of that kind of stuff out. I didn't know it would make such a nice forge, but I knew it was something. I have a ton (literally) of springs (leaf & coil), fork truck pins & forks (the square bar "cubing tine" kind), drops from the torch machine, wire rope, automotive valvetrain stuff (springs, valves etc.) and more (lots more) all around the place. I haven't thrown out a chunk of steel since my 4x4 building days (long ago). When Tom said forge, alot of bells went off for me. And being 15 and fit, it was easy to make him drag it all together and clean it up. He will have fun using it, and I know where he is.
Thanks for helping and humoring my son, this is a GREAT board.

FrogPondForge's Dad (Mike)

Tom tells me that he is getting some reaction. I thought I'd better take a look. Thanks for all of the input. There is a page of the torch machine pics here:
Torch

And another project I did with it here:
http:www//.accuratepower.com/Rest

There are a few threads about it on related boards out there, I'll try to dig them up. It has been a few years since I built it, I have forgotten most everything, except how to use it.

I've been thinking about the hole sizes in my grate for a while. I used this pic as a guide:
TUYERE.jpg
I figured I could make a bunch of different plates to drop on top of it, if it turned out to be way too much. I think I'll draw and burn some to try out. Maybe one with a slot off to one side for a little "side draft". Tom fired it up yesterday and things seemed to be going "OK". With the ShopVac slowed as far as it would go, it still doesn't take long to get things HOT. Maybe it will be a coal-eater in the long run. Walk away from it for a few minutes and it'll burn steel, but keep a close eye on things and there is not alot of waiting. I think he will be alright when he gets the hang of it. It will surely be easier to block some off than to open them up, so I erred that way.
Regarding the ash dump, I wish I had a longer and smaller chunk of scrap for it, I went with what was laying around. Clogging the air pipe doesn't seem to be a factor. Open the door and kick the vac on at full power and the ash just flies out. The real issue is that the hinges are at the bottom of it all. Grit will get packed in there a little. If you flop it open and shut a few times with the blower on, it does clear this out too. You can also adjust the volume a little by proping it open a tad. I'm sure he/I will be fine tuning a bit.
And yes, that really is all just a bunch of junk I had laying around. I sat on that washdown tray for 20yrs.. And to think, my wife says I should throw some of that kind of stuff out. I didn't know it would make such a nice forge, but I knew it was something. I have a ton (literally) of springs (leaf & coil), fork truck pins & forks (the square bar "cubing tine" kind), drops from the torch machine, wire rope, automotive valvetrain stuff (springs, valves etc.) and more (lots more) all around the place. I haven't thrown out a chunk of steel since my 4x4 building days (long ago). When Tom said forge, alot of bells went off for me. And being 15 and fit, it was easy to make him drag it all together and clean it up. He will have fun using it, and I know where he is.
Thanks for helping and humoring my son, this is a GREAT board.

FrogPondForge's Dad (Mike)

Those are some cool projects! I get you a link to the same blower that i have ,it works good for my forge!

Ok here is a link to get one like mine! It works great for my forge, I can open it up and get it to forge welding temps in no time! (ok like 45 - 60 secounds depend on size stock and if its hot or not) but really it works good!New blacksmith 100 CFM Forge Blower with air gate - eBay (item 250202005152 end time Jan-05-08 19:01:49 PST)