I Forge Iron

57 minutes ago, LastRonin said:

My first attempt at a trammel hook. Am attempting to make some campfire cooking gear for a friend of mine's birthday. I'll upload pictures in a bit.

Okay, then I'll believe it in a bit. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

I believe it now. I really like the lift ring. I'm a huge fan of simple ideas and modifications that make life easier. :)

Nice job it aught to be pretty marketable if that's your aim. And yes a tripod is a natural to go with.

Frosty The Lucky.

ausfire: Thanks. That was my idea behind putting it in there.  I hadn't really looked for ones with or without it, just while making it, it just seemed like it needed something instead of just the tab to go in the hole... so I put the loop in. AFTERWARD, I wondered if it was a common thing I just hadn't seen yet. But when I searched google for images of trammel hooks, I didn't find any with loops. I found some with a T at the top for a lift handle. So then I wondered if I had messed up and there was a reason loops weren't used. 

JimsShip: Thank you sir.

Frosty: Thank you as well sir. I hope it works well for my friend. I am really only a hobbyist. I don't get enough forge time in to worry about "marketable" yet... but I am making notes for the possible 'some day'.

On 8/12/2015 14:47:44, Frosty said:

I really like the lift ring. I'm a huge fan of simple ideas and modifications that make life easier. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

ditto

The ring has to work. I analyse iron kitchen implements of the Nouvelle-France era in a  museum in Montreal. I never saw the loop like you forged. You did well.

The question I always ask myself when I look at trammel hooks, wether in a museum or as I see in paintings, is wether they did adjust the hight of the hook dayly in use or wether searching the "High", "Medium", "Low" heights in the fire they just put it at one hight and left it there. To adjust the hight when the fire is roaring would have been nothing but impossible if the trammel was hung on a lug pole crossing over the fire in the chimney as were the large trammels. Even with a chimney crane (the trammel hooks were much shorter, smaller), such adjustments would have been difficult. Whatever happened in the past, if your friend wants to adjust the hight of hie trammel hook, it will be easier with the loop.