I Forge Iron

Where to look for a vise and what should I pay?

I'm looking for a vise. I'd like it to be at least 4". This will be mounted on a workbench (I will eventually get another on a stand). Where should I look to get a good quality vise without paying an arm and a leg? What should I expect to pay, what should I look for (in terms of condition) and what brands are good or what brands should I avoid?

Seems like everything here on Craigslist or similar are all either very over priced or in terrible condition (lots of play, does not close square, etc.). 

Thanks. 

Look right over there and expect to pay 3 quatloos.  

Now if you want to tell us what COUNTRY you are in we might be able to direct out answers better.  BTW Is this a bench vise or a blacksmiths leg vise?  

Best source I know of for blacksmithing vises is Quad-State, Troy Ohio, USA; last full weekend in September (usually).  I tend to buy one every time I attend and drag it back to leg vise poor New Mexico USA.  I know folks from Canada who used to go to Quad-State just to tool up their smithies.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Look right over there and expect to pay 3 quatloos.  

Now if you want to tell us what COUNTRY you are in we might be able to direct out answers better.  BTW Is this a bench vise or a blacksmiths leg vise?  

Best source I know of for blacksmithing vises is Quad-State, Troy Ohio, USA; last full weekend in September (usually).  I tend to buy one every time I attend and drag it back to leg vise poor New Mexico USA.  I know folks from Canada who used to go to Quad-State just to tool up their smithies.

sorry. New England, USA. Bench vise. 

I bought most of my vises at machine shop auctions, and garage sales. Never paid over $25.

I would stay away from new Chinese made vises. Wilton is a good ,and popular make, but they are quite expensive. Look at one, and then compare others to it. You should be able to spot a poorly made one after doing so.

There is a Parker 973B on Craigslist for $125. Has not sold in a few weeks. Seller keeps relisting it at same price. Is that a good vise and what is it worth?

I don't want junk. I'll use it a lot and take care of it. The last thing I need is to get hurt while working on something held in a junk vise. 

How do i find out about machine shop auctions? Thanks!

7 minutes ago, 1215 said:

How do i find out about machine shop auctions? Thanks!

News paper maybe?   

Check out pawn shops, second hand stores, yard sales, fleamarkets, estate auctions. There are lots of places to look. I look at Auctionzip to find local auctions going on, and lists of what they are selling are there  usually pictures too. I'm sure there are other auction listing sites, it's just the one I know of.  If you are in more of a hurry to get a good one and don't have the luxury of biding your time then bite the bullet and buy a good one new. 

Also look for a local company that does factory/machinery auctions; they often end up with small stuff that get's piled in a corner of their building and can often be got very reasonably---I was once given a post vise by one when I explained what it was and how it was used...New England is a great place to get used screw presses too!

Thanks for the replies! I NEED one fairly quickly and eventually I'd like a few, one medium sized vice on a stand and one small/medium sized on the bench in the wood shop, one medium/large on a stand for my metal fab area and one medium sized to bolt to the "general" workbench. 

Yes this is New England so I'll look around for estate auctions and going out of business sales, etc. I see that there are a lot of vises around for sale however they seem to get scooped up quickly by "pickers" and resold for a lot of $$. I'm trying to avoid another "new" vise as I bought a 5" blue Irwin brand vise at Lowes and broke it the first time I went to use it (one of the jaws cracked off). I'd ideally like to get a top quality used/vintage vise as they seem to be made with better metal/quality. 

Thanks again! 

Northern or Southern NE, world apart on equipment finds.  I helped clean out a stamping/tool & Die company a few years ago.  I was given 5 HD vises plus a half ton of new steel and a huge amount of tools.  I was just helping an old guy get his affairs in order for nothing but he offered and I took what ever he offered.  Most people wouldn't have started this 4 week project for nothing but I was more than paid in the end.  You just don't know where items will show up. I drive a lot all over NE and keep an eye out for stuff beside the road, in door yards, at  yard sales, farm yards & watch for signs, my Envoy is always caring something home I spot. 

No telling what you will find or where, but it will cost a lot of $$$$$ if you are in a hurry! 

PS in the end we ended up real good friends, he has helped me haul most of this to VT and had helped me set up my new shop and loves to see his and his father in some cases tools have a new home.   

I missed out on 2 smokin deals in the past year or so.The 1st one, was a leg vise, & a benchtop forge, w/blower , @ a flea market. Prices weren't bad, very fair. I left, came back with $ lender,& they got SOLD already.Then a friend I rarely C, had 1 layin in dirt, by his garage, I spotted it, asked, hetold me $50. I never got back out there, let alone call, tostay in touch( $50 !! ). Just seen him other day, asked about it, & it went 2 someone else. YEP, I'M IN NEW MEXICO. I am working more lately, roofin semi-part-time. I've got 2 Blacksmithin books, 2 farrier's anvils, couple pieces of RxR trak, & couple 10-lug brake drums. Got steel workbenches, & 1chinese-crap,harbor freight vice.Oh yeah a little handcrank,gear-reduction bench-grinder(plan 2 adapt 4 a blower).I have plenty of hammers&clamps from my metal-fab past( MOSTLY B-4 NEW MEXICO ), but hopefully SOON, I can get $$ saved up, & find me a LARGE LEG VISE. I remember a yr ago or so, there was a big 1, I forget if it was a 6", or maybe 8"?. There were also 2 seperate MONSTER BRIDGE ANVILS 4 sale, out in Cali'. Anyway, sorry bout all the yakkin, doin this with Android , & semi-big fingers.Bullwinkle71 out.