I Forge Iron

Just need some opinions and advice

Curtis87

So I'm trying to make a chef's knife for my dad for Christmas. I'm at the rough grinding stage right now. Basically I'm looking for some help getting the two sides flat at parallel. I have a small 2"x28 stationary belt sander and a 4" x 24" hand held. 

This is where I'm at currently image.thumb.jpg.feee355ddadb612be321c282

the curve in the spine was caused by forging the bevel, but I'm starting to like the look. Some tells me that it might make it a less effective kitchen knife though. Some opinions on that would also be greatly appreciated 

this is the blank I cut out and the original design I was going forimage.thumb.jpg.5e44b78f2344463da5e8223c

8 hours ago, T.J.watts said:

Use WD-40 on wet or dry paper, makes the paper last longer and gives a better finish. For a chef knife I prefer less curve on the edge but its looking good.

NO! WD-40 is a transdermal and will carry any contaminants in solution right through your skin into your bloodstream! It's not as effective as DMSO but it can still poison you.

Use water and a little Dawn dishwashing soap. It's very effective and one version or another is industry standard for wet sanding, heck works a treat on your whet stone too.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Frozenthunderbolt said:

You might like to do some filework first?

Yao started like that but I realized there was a curve so I had to flatten everything out first. Now that that it sorted out I think I should invest in a micrometer before going any further.

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

NO! WD-40 is a transdermal and will carry any contaminants in solution right through your skin into your bloodstream! It's not as effective as DMSO but it can still poison you.

Use water and a little Dawn dishwashing soap. It's very effective and one version or another is industry standard for wet sanding, heck works a treat on your whet stone too.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, I did not know that. That's what I've always used for finish sanding, i guess I should use something else. As many times as I have mentioned using it no one has ever told me that, thank you.

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

Frosty The Lucky.

My old woodworking teacher taught me the soapy water trick as well (and it doesn't have to be Dawn). He had some horror stories from when he had used kerosene as a sharpening lubricant, although in retrospect, I think his brain issues may have been caused by other varieties of better living through chemistry, if you know what I mean....

Any good non-fat based soap works Dawn just cuts grease really well and we secrete oils through the skin. I have some stories about using kerosene as a sanding lubricant too but we didn't know any better then. Just thinking about the things we used to do on a daily basis in Dad's shop gives me the willies.

WD-40 & co. doesn't like to advertise it's transdermal properties but it's there.

Better living through chemistry? Why yes, YES I DO know what you mean. :blink:

On December 1, 2015 at 10:28:48 AM, Worshipdrummer said:

Maybe some 40 grit paper, a flat surface and a random orbital sander for the gross work?  I would switch to hand tools as soon as I got any where close to my goal. 

How close would that be? In terms of edge thickness?

i went up to 220 on the belt sander and have the shape I want, I think its ready for heat treating. Gotta Find some finer paper now

This is where I'm at now

image.jpg

32 minutes ago, Worshipdrummer said:

Was it a stock removal or did you forge it?

The OP shows that Curtis87 cut out the initial profile from flat stock, then beveled it on the anvil, resulting in the somewhat more dramatic curve than originally intended.  

Yep that's exactly what happened. It took the curve when I roughly forged the bevel.

Ill do the Normalizing and HT soon. Just have to make up some kind of oven. I'm debating whether to use a long charcoal forge or a torch and fire bricks. I'm afraid to burn the edge in the coal forge. 

Might be some time until that happens though since I just had a baby boy last night.

On 11/29/2015, 5:48:30, Steve Sells said:

then go do it, nothing stopping you except yourself

Question: If there is some minor out-of-flatness in an annealed blank (say, about 1/32" at most), can that be addressed with a little careful cold work on the anvil before grinding? (Assuming here that there will be the usual triple-normalization before hardening.) Or should there be an additional annealing in between cold work and grinding? Or is cold work out of the picture entirely?