I Forge Iron

Looking at a Fisher

Ok, so the 172lb English anvil got away, and I am now looking at a 200lb Fisher.  The owner says it's dated 1919.  I have to travel a bit to get it, so I have not seen it in person yet. 

Anyway, is it just me, or does this one seem to have an extra-long horn?  Just looking at other Fisher pics online, this one looks elongated.

Also, I see it has mounting lugs, when many I see online don't.  Is this just a slightly different pattern than others?  I seem to remember NJAnvilman saying somewhere that Fisher had a huge number of patterns...

For some non-mattering reason I tend to like the looks of the 1800's English anvils like Mousehole, Wilkinsons, and PW, and hadn't really considered going with a "newer" American one...  But, from what I read the Fishers are great to use.

fisher1.JPG

fisher2.JPG

fisher3.JPG

Going by the photographs, that 200 lb Fisher looks pretty normal to me.  But it "could" have a slightly longer horn.   Fisher specs for a 200 list the face as 17 1/4 " , and the horn as 11 1/2" long.  If the horn is significantly longer that this, then it could have been a slightly custom job.  Fisher advertised that they would make almost any size or shape the customer wanted. It is hard to see exactly the proportions in your photos.  If you go to look at it, take a ruler and compare the anvil to the measurements I gave you.

Most Fisher anvil made 1892 on, and between 100 and 400 lb had mounting lugs.  Some 400 do not have them, some do.  100 is the smallest size with lugs.

I was going to leave price out of since it varies by area and really only matters to the buyer and seller. He's asking $2.50 a pound, which isn't awesome, but better than I was expecting from a reseller. I've been watching the area for about 3 years now, and really haven't seen much for sale above 120lbs, and if so at much higher prices. I've actually avoided calling this guy figuring he was going for top dollar as a reseller. 

I talked to another local reseller that offered me a 200ish lb "collectible English" anvil at only $2000. There was another one about 130lbs for only $800. He figured his old English stuff was mostly $10 per lb and higher...

I have an 84lb Wilkinsons that I bought for almost nothing due to the top plate coming off. It was in really bad shape with only about 20% of the plate still attached. With a donation from my local Lincoln rep of a box of tough facing rod I built it back up and it now has pretty good rebound. I like it, but really want a wider face to work with. Seems like I am always dropping stuff off it when veining, etc. I think the 3+ years on the repaired anvil paid the dues to warrant getting a really nice one...  Plus, my sons are getting interested and I thought I'd mount the little one lower for them. 

Once you get a Fisher, you'll never want another anvil.  If they aren't the gold standard, they should be!  Fantastic anvil, zero ringing, beautiful proportions.... just about as perfect as you can get.

I've talked with that gent on the telephone and he seems really friendly and wanting to help the tools go to a good home.  I wish I was closer... but my wallet is glad that I'm not!

If it has been sitting at his place for awhile you may be able to do some bargaining. If he won't come down on price he may throw in some other tools to sweeten the deal. It never hurts to ask. Good luck, let us know how you do. My main anvil is a 260# Fisher made in 1907, and I love it.

It's home now. It's in really good shape with the exception of a crack in the face plate only at one side of the hardy. The crack does not go into the cast body. 

The guy was pretty cool - he's into collecting all tools. On the blacksmith tools he lets you trade up down the road if you want bigger or better. He even has broken anvils in the back for budget starters that he said have been through several users that later upgraded with him. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg