I Forge Iron

Mechanical Crest

Daswulf

Something that materialized tonight. Sometimes it just happens. While working on another project, this happened. :) 

the name was a bit of thinking and arguing but I hope it fits. The idea is to incorporate it into a gate or it could just be a wall hanger. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks Aditya!

11 hours ago, JME1149 said:

Looks like you got the junk art fever. Looking good, can't wait to see what you come up with next.

I did. Had it for a long time but it's wanting out lately. Thanks JME :)

10 hours ago, fergy said:

Nice work

i come across like 1 of them old spanners a  year. Where do you find all those?

are the handles cast?

Thanks Fergy. I've picked them up over the years at fleamarkets and in box lots at estate auctions.  If I didnt have one and needed one I'd probably heat a straight wrench in the forge and bend it. also a future consideration of mine it to find someone doing chrome plating to de-chrome some other junky wrenches for use once i get a pile.

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Good orientation on the handles, it adds to the effect.  I'd go for a gate.

Thank you Thomas. I'm liking the gate idea. so until i know what size and where, it will have to wait. Might even get added to to meet code if need be.

you might want to think about events Like the New Orleans Jazz fest.  There is an "art section "  which often has a selection of Art metallic art.    Could be a little early in your career to afford,  But Is the kind of art venue in which articles like that sell.   People often get repeat buyers from the shows that support them for years,   

1 hour ago, Charlotte said:

you might want to think about events Like the New Orleans Jazz fest.  There is an "art section "  which often has a selection of Art metallic art.    Could be a little early in your career to afford,  But Is the kind of art venue in which articles like that sell.   People often get repeat buyers from the shows that support them for years,   

Definatly something i will look into but yeah i think i need to build my skill and some kind of portfolio.  Thank you for the insight Charlotte.

Another great piece, Das. It's nice to have a few of the same object so you can achieve the symmetry.

Good work welding the cast gate valve (?)  knobs. I have a load of those but they crumble when I've tried welding them so I only use them if I can bolt them on.

5 hours ago, ausfire said:

Another great piece, Das. It's nice to have a few of the same object so you can achieve the symmetry.

Good work welding the cast gate valve (?)  knobs. I have a load of those but they crumble when I've tried welding them so I only use them if I can bolt them on.

Thanks Ausfire. It's alway nice getting lucky enough to get multiples of things. Doesnt happen too often. Other times you can match stuff up close enough. 

I can't say it's perfect welding but I've had pretty good luck welding some cast with my Lincoln 135 mig and .023 - .025 wire.

I cut sides of a gear once to make a battle axe, turned out the gear was cast. I fought through the project and with a bit of work it turned out pretty darn solid. 

On November 20, 2015 at 7:30:58 AM, fergy said:

Nice work

i come across like 1 of them old spanners a  year. Where do you find all those?

are the handles cast?

Fergy, here you go with some regular wrenches turned into s wrenches, if that's what you meant other then just the uncoated ones in general.  Uncoated wrenches arnt too uncommon here. 

These were some no names I felt like playing with. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 hours ago, fergy said:

Ausfire use cast rods when welding cast to steel 

daswulf you had some scanners that were just all flat like they were punched outta plate ,do you think that you could make them look like the drop forged ones easily 

Probably could give them a little depth/ dimension forging them a bit. They arnt all that thick but it would help. Hadn't thought of that one. :) 

10 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Ausfire, you can always braze , or silver solder the cast parts to the other items.

Yes, have had some success with brazing, but never tried silver solder. Something to think about.

It's a pity cast iron is difficult to weld because some of the best and most intricate and useful shapes are cast.

Das, nice work with the S spanners from straight. I'll make a few next forging session. I've bent loads of them over (I make bull ants out of them) but not laterally. Those S spanners are hard to find but I never thought of making them. Obvious! Thanks for the tip.

5 hours ago, ausfire said:

Yes, have had some success with brazing, but never tried silver solder. Something to think about.

It's a pity cast iron is difficult to weld because some of the best and most intricate and useful shapes are cast.

Das, nice work with the S spanners from straight. I'll make a few next forging session. I've bent loads of them over (I make bull ants out of them) but not laterally. Those S spanners are hard to find but I never thought of making them. Obvious! Thanks for the tip.

Love when i get an idea i didnt think of from others.( theres Lots) haha. The old "why didnt I think of doing that"  we all help each other and thats the great thing about this forum. (even if I didnt think I'd have much to offer.)