I Forge Iron

Trinity Knot

Prokopto

This is a Trinity Knot I made, from a 19th century wagon tire, for my mentor as a gift. It took me almost 40 hours. (part of that time was trying to figure out how to bend the wagon tire sections on their opposite plane). The wagon tire was almost 10 feet in circumference and the entire thing is 34 inches across and weighs 33 pounds. The hanger is just a bit from the same wagon.

Bill

trinity.jpg

I have a picture from one of the roughly ten zillion Christmas catalogs that have been jamming my box of late, it's of a similar Trinity Cross, only it also has another piece circling the entire trinity piece - I tore it out of the catalog to see if I could give it a try on a small scale sometime.  Thanks for the further inspiration!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2015 at 8:25 PM, Frosty said:

Nice piece. Well done. One word of caution though, at that weight it will require a pretty serious wall anchor if going on an interior wall.

Frosty The Lucky.

Indeed, I gave him an old hook from the same wagon that was 5/8" wrought iron and he rearranged his office so that it could hang from a wall stud and still be behind his desk.

On 12/3/2015 at 8:17 PM, arkie said:

Nice looking Trinity Knot...big one! 

Did you form the curve on each piece by fullering the outside portion, like with a cross pien hammer?

Actually, I bent the sections along the flat plane by dropping them hot across the anvil horn which I hear is called an inertia bend.