I Forge Iron

First Damascus

T.J.watts

I haven't started the blade yet, I'm going to try cable Damascus for the guard and pommel. This is my first Damascus billet so I want to do a blade and a ring from it.

IMG_20151113_114548.jpg

IMG_20151113_114529.jpg

KIMG0340.jpg

IMG_20151113_084448.jpg

16 layers twisted then folded and drawn out. 8 layers of band saw blade and 8 layers of flat spring from a hose reel.

Agitation of the acid makes it work a little faster and etch more evenly in the shortened time. The fish bubbler is just an inexpensive way to get the acid agitated. You could accomplish the same thing with a submersible vibration device. Anything that gets the acid moving around will work. A fish tank aerator only costs $6-$12 through Amazon. Cut off a 3/4" square scrap piece of nickel-silver and drill a 1/4 inch hole in it. Force the hose through the hole so it acts like a weight and brings the hose down below the blade in the acid tank.

BTW, that's a nice little forge you've got there TJ. What are you burning in it? Looks like charcoal (or is that the coal bin on the left?) and it reminds me of NYC in the winter when these guys sell roasted chestnuts on the street. They have these carts that have a charcoal fire going and they are roasting the chestnuts right there. Anyway, it's still a pretty nice set up you've got.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the blade is ready for ht but I found a small crack at the start of the tang. I'm debating whether or not I should finish it or put it with the other shiny patterns. I etched and buffed so you guys could see the pattern better. What do you guys think should I finish it or just start over.

KIMG0381.jpg

KIMG0382.jpg

KIMG0383.jpg

That's a beautiful pattern!  Wish I had more experience to be able to offer solutions.  Best I can suggest, is maybe differential hardening to keep as much stress off the tang as possible.  Whatever you do with that hunk of steel though, it would be a shame to not wind up with something to show off. Even if its practical use was limited, it would, at least, look awesome sitting on a shelf.  Your ring came out awesome, by the way. 

Ship it to me right now and I will dispose of it for you...

If it were mine I would heat treat it and if it held together, because it is a hidden tang knife, I would make myself a small flat sleeve to fit tightly over the tang.  Secure it in place like a splint on a broken bone and finish your handle out so that the splint will not be visible.  Because it is internally flawed I would keep it for my own use in case it did break one day.  I know there will be better advice offered up by way more experienced people but this is what I would attempt rather than let it sit.   

This one if for me, it started as a show off piece more or less. I don't think the crack will hurt anything as far as normal use goes but as the same time I know its there. Since this is my first time pattern welding I'm trying not to kick myself to much but I can be pretty critical of myself. I guess more than anything I'm struggling to make up my mind on whether or not to keep it.