I Forge Iron

Need some advice regarding forklift fork steel

Hey all,

Almost five years ago, I acquired a #75 Bradley hammer, and since then I've been using the dies that came with it.  The upper die works fine, but the lower keeps deforming on me.  I suspect it may be mild steel. 

Anyway, I decided recently to make a couple sets of dies out of a forklift tine that I have since I've read that they are usually 4340 or 4140.  So I chopped it up into sections with my bandsaw, but decided to slice off a thin piece and try heat treating it first, before going to any more trouble.

I soaked one sample piece at 1575 F for 30 minutes, then quenched in oil.  After it had cooled to room temperature, I tried to break it in a vise, and couldn't.  Tested it for hardness, and it's 23 RC.

I have another sample soaking at 1475, and I'm going to water quench it.  I expect similar results, though.

So, what do you guys think?  My data sheets for 4340 and 4140 say they should have an as-quenched hardness in the low 50's RC.   

Have there ever been forklift tines made out of mild steel?

Thanks for your help,

Phillip

Heat Treaters bible said you did things right...1575 f and oil quench for 4140 so I'd look at aspects of your process---longer soak?  Better quench?  Temp control?

4340 effectively the same except 1550 f and what appears from the graph to be a MUCH longer soak.

I used to try to guess what a particular batch of steel was, but too many times I discovered I'd mis-guessed only after spending dozens of hours working on a piece.  Now, if I'm going to use a batch of mystery steel for something important, I chop off a small piece and send out it to be tested first.  I've used these guys in the past: http://www.labtesting.com/services/metal-testing/, but a google search for "steel alloy content testing" will bring up lots of options.  Usually, you can get a definitive analysis, that is full alloy content and tool steel type, for under $100.  Might seem like a lot of money, but if your time has any value, it's easy to spend much, much more by being mistaken about what your working with.  (In fact, I have an absolutely beautiful tanto sitting on my workbench, forged, clay quenched and almost finished.  The dozen or so small cracks weren't apparent until I got to the final finishing stages.  Turns out, what I thought was S2, was in fact S5, which, as it happens, doesn't appreciate being quenched in water.)

Good for you...I live in Yuma AZ, the lettuce capital of the world. So there are lots of fork truck rental/repair shops in town.  Using every bit of my  persuasive  charm, I haven't obtained a singe piece of broken tine.  The standard reply has been "sorry, there is too much liability to "give/sell".   A broken tine is...well ..broken.

• 4 years later...

i have fork truck tines on my 60 pound tire hammer for about a year and i use all different tooling as well, dies are holding up really well with about 20 hrs of use on them a week for about a year now and no deformation or cracking. I used them as is figuring id replace them easily enough if they didnt hold up but theres been no issue. i make damascus and forge mostly tool steel under my hammer too. 

All tines are different so try it out, dont expect much and you may be pleasantly surprised