I Forge Iron

PABA October Meet

And the final set of Andrew's piece..

20151003_153008.thumb.jpg.a3fb58c4798c1a20151003_145719.thumb.jpg.eda95118c9051420151003_153431.thumb.jpg.0cf2cd166be9c520151003_151230.thumb.jpg.f2da542552838e20151003_153008.thumb.jpg.a3fb58c4798c1a

20151003_153728-1.thumb.jpg.d0b212c42a79

I started this thread when the project began earlier this morning. The hammer-in today was at Artisans of the Anvil, the shop of Andrew Molinaro. Andrew started by sketching this piece out to scale on a sheet of steel, then forged the armatures to form, cut the plates and riveted the entire piece together. All in all, great demonstration, a nice example of free form forging and classic joinery. Hope you enjoyed it!

J

Edited by j.w.s.

HOLEY MACKEREL you guys had a GOOD TIME! Thanks for the progress pics on Andrew's sculpture it's going to be a showcase piece where ever it finds a home.

The crawling winged sculpture is kind of creepy but creepy in a hypnotically attractive way. I hope someone here has pics of it from different angles. PLEASE!

You guys are doing some high end work.

Frosty The Lucky

Yes, Fallen Angel is what I saw on my first look but got distracted by the rest of the photo spread. I'd LOVE to see it installed. It's gorgeous, it strikes it's message straight you your hind brain.

Frosty The Lucky

Edited by Frosty

Oh yeah, a good time was had by all. I hope my parole officer doesn't see this- I'm not supposed to leave the county.

The piece Andrew made today wasn't planned out ahead of time- he took a few minutes to sketch it out before the demo, and figured it out as he went. Start to finish in about 6 hrs or less.

Thanks for documenting our fun, JW

Steve

I just managed to get in from there. I had a great time, managed to meet JW and NickOoh for the 1st time ( shame Marcy couldn't make it due to work) and the weather cooperated for the most part. A bit of spitting, but nothing major. I managed to pick up 1000 lbs of coal from the place down the street shortly before the closed for the day. I got so wrapped up in talking to people I knew I almost missed getting there in time. Probably could have squeaked another 500 to 750 lbs of coal in the bin, but it was getting close to noon when they close and I was getting a bit tired of standing on the slope of the pile shoveling. That should do me for a bit and I'll probably end up sharing some with Tod ( guy in the background of the 1st Fallen Angel pict in the green sweat shirt) who lives right down the road from me.

I don't have any good overall picts but I do have a few detail ones from around the shop I'll try and post later after I dig out the camera and down load them to the other computer. Maybe later tonight or after work tomorrow.

I don't have any good overall picts but I do have a few detail ones from around the shop I'll try and post later after I dig out the camera and down load them to the other computer. Maybe later tonight or after work tomorrow.

Thanks Doug, I knew there was more to take pictures of around the shop I was just too busy talking with everyone else... lol looking forward to seeing what you may have!

J

Most of mine are detail shots showing joinery, architectural elements or fixtures since that's right now what interests me most as opposed to sculpture.

DSCN5101a.thumb.JPG.d8cd6eb670d47aec6bbf

DSCN5102a.thumb.JPG.d345e85a7e5e9bd8b229

DSCN5109a.thumb.JPG.4349cc7c4fa9a2fca1ff

DSCN5123a.thumb.JPG.28d2563a7129acc68bfb

DSCN5124a.thumb.JPG.14799dfc98f83ae9bb76

DSCN5126a.thumb.JPG.40675fe61f548dd6b8c4

DSCN5110a.thumb.JPG.f2add65e4668cd0b582a

DSCN5111a.thumb.JPG.ea63d4d42581858fadb0

A few of a table Andrew had in progress. Only a few turned out well unfortunately.

DSCN5100a.thumb.JPG.e40acb48451cd5ddb332

DSCN5114a.thumb.JPG.0103fbfa5e0efb48ac0c

DSCN5115a.thumb.JPG.9aa29820fef611907775

Andrew punching some of the parts for todays project and the adapted ball peen punch he was using.

DSCN5137a.thumb.JPG.98d6e22c9ce6efe19727

DSCN5139a.thumb.JPG.a29f2b01a830f1d8186a

DSCN5140a.thumb.JPG.cafb4940524220d110bc

DSCN5135a.thumb.JPG.1aa9181de2d439302ded

Lastly some other members work ( sadly I forgot who did these). he had a few other knives, but my pict of those turned out to blurry to see and I only took one. The one of the RR spike knives he made doesn't show the nice detail he did in the handles. Sadly again the detailed closeups either got washed out by the flash, or were too blurry.

DSCN5099a.thumb.JPG.b4e52fb6ab2aba68ea41

DSCN511a6.thumb.JPG.c6a2f4d5274ed8baab19

DSCN5117a.thumb.JPG.6605932c73fb91be22ec

DSCN5119a.thumb.JPG.97d9113963b36d7fa156

DSCN5133a.thumb.JPG.233161755e2334e59778

Nice shots Doug, thanks for sharing! Andrew does great joinery - prioritizes rivets above all, weld as the last resort - after all, this is blacksmithing, not fabrication. The biggest thing he touched on today is that when doing rivets, the support and strength have to come from your design - you've got to think through the weak points and incorporate reinforcement into the design you're creating. It doesn't take much, just a knowledge of how it works and a little thinking. He's got great examples of this scattered throughout his shop. All-in-all, it was another great PABA hammer-in, the talent and knowledge in this group never ceases to amaze me! Getting to hang with Doug, Steve and Nick from here on IFI was just an added benefit! I hope this thread will inspire some people and perhaps entice a few of the more local ones to our next real hammer-in in February - yeah, there's always the December gallery show, but there's a lot more work and sharing of knowledge that happens around an actual forge. :) Thanks again guys for helping out with some great pictures!

J

Thanks Doug, construction details are good, I like the detail shots. The pics of the overall pieces is a dip into the mind of the maker, a glimpse of what they see and to be cherished. The details of how they form and compose elements into wholes and how they join them are looks at their tools and how they use them.

It's all high value stuff. Thanks.

Frosty The Lucky

Oh man! I looks like I missed out on an awesome time.  I wish I could have made it but as was stated, I had to work. I will not lie, I am very jealous that Nick got to go, I miss out on everything! Haha. Andrew does amazing work and I wish I could have seen it in person. 

You got a chance to play with Ivan instead. He actually made it out to last years October PABA meeting at Andrews shop on his 1st time thru on his grand adventure. I got to meet him then.

That was a good time Doug. There is a whole lot of skill in PABA and that shop is something to admire all on its own! It's too bad I missed this one but I look forward to the next one. Hopefully I can make it out. Daswulf and I had good forge time on this side of the state at least.