I Forge Iron

giant sprocket

I was able to go through a picked over old welding/blacksmith shop over the weekend. It was badly picked over. The only really good things were 2 forges( neither was really serviceable without a lot of work) and a 400 lb anvil that was not for sale. I was able to poke around and got a big double handful of punches and files. I was able to get an old sprocket about 4 feet across and 2 stands to set it on. I'm wanting to make a table for the wife to sit outdoors by her firepit. Is there a way to show the original patina and preserve it at the same time? I'm really wanting to avoid painting it if i can. The best part is that I can go back if i want and she was only charging $0.05 /lb. My total investment is $40. She was only asking $26 but I felt quilty only giving her $0.05/lb.

Anyway any ideas on the base and hoe to preserve the old look?

It has a bit of loose rust but the weather has been crappy and the shop is full. I'll scrape the big stuff off, then hit it with a scrub pad. I think clear coat is the best idea. I'm still not sure on the legs. I'll need to wife to make her wishes known first. 

Thanks for all the replies. 

I had a thought on the legs. There was some i-beam sections and there was a 20 stick of 2" solid round stock. Any thoughts on the leg material or design? The wife just wants it to be "regular table height". I'm not tied into any particular material just yet. I'll listen to most any idea. Start spit balling. If it was your project, what would you do?

I was wanting to make a lazy susan in the center. The hole is abt 9 inches. 

Making the revolving table is a neat idea but my be outside my abilities. I was trying to come up with a good material to make it a tripod but keep it consistent with the gear theme. Still working in it, im also still listening to ideas.