I Forge Iron

coil spring experiment

stan

The extent of my knife making is limited to a couple of simple bench coil spring ones, lately I have made a couple of fire pokers with about 4inches bent over welded (electric arc) and re forged to form the handle.So here is a coil spring knife made similar,steel was preheated before welding.knife is not that great but I was interested to see if the thing would crack or fail during the process of forging, welding ,heat treatment so far all good..I do plan to put it to use in the back yard.

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

The extent of my knife making is limited to a couple of simple bench coil spring ones, lately I have made a couple of fire pokers with about 4inches bent over welded and re forged to form the handle.So here is a coil spring knife made similar,steel was preheated before welding.knife is not that great but I was interested to see if the thing would crack or fail during the process of forging welding ,heat treatment so far all good..I do plan to put it to use in the back yard.

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

Thanks neg , have to think more about a handle.

Thanks neg , have to think more about a handle.

Good Morning,

Thinking about a handle is quite simple. One half is on one side, the other half is on the other side. Couple of locating pins, a few drops of epoxy, a little pinch, a little patience. Presto, a lump. Now make the lump nice!!

Just a thought,

Neil

Hi Neil the original idea was by folding a section of the coil  spring over and weld and forging it would become the handle but as it turned out it dose not quite have enough mass to make a good handle so I will add a lump to it.:)

Yes your right Thomas that sounds like the way to go,I realize now that if I want to make the knife in one piece with a metal handle I need more stock that end or if I want to add a handle the original stock size would probably been ok.This one seems to be in between. But I don`t think it was a complete waste of time because its shown me that I can weld up spring steel and re forge it,  I was half expecting it to crack or delaminate.

Honestly, I'm gawking at how you have that handle set up and curious how you put the guard in like that. Mentally I'm trying to figure out how you did it without cutting into it, and while I have a few theories, I can't say I have it figured out.

Personally, I like the metal handle, but that's mostly because I don't have the setup for good handles. If you plan on using this in the yard, though, I'd use a wrap, and go with colors that will jump out at you.

Hi libraria and thanks, as I said before I am no knife maker and the method would probably be considered un conventional at best I started using the method for a few fire pokers and like you like the idea of a metal handle.Once the section (3to 4 inches is folded over and welded its heat to bright yellow and re forged.The guard can be shaped before or after.If you can get 5/8 spring steel it would be better with a larger handle

Cheers Stan

IMG_0878.JPG

Hey Stan,

Can't really comment on your knife as I'm no knife maker, but it certainly looks fine to me. Interesting how you welded and reforged it.

I'll have to try something like that one day - I've got coil springs of all sizes and no idea what to do with them.

Hi Ausfire the process of folding over or adding pieces then re forging works  well for me because I have not mastered forge welding.you should try the process with mild steel for your camp oven lifters after re forging if your lucky you can`t see the weld marks. .So far I have not had any problems with welding and re forging spring steel,I allow the this to heat up to a dull red before welding clean the slag a good wire brush and back in the forge

IMG_0543.JPG

Edited by stan

Here is the second try of a knife made out of coil spring in one piece with a metal hand Although its probably more a dagger. I should have taken more photos, but there is one directly after welding . The brass inlay was to cover a stuff up in that slight hollows were leaf after re forging.  

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

Hi Ausfire the process of folding over or adding pieces then re forging works  well for me because I have not mastered forge welding.you should try the process with mild steel for your camp oven lifters after re forging if your lucky you can`t see the weld marks. .So far I have not had any problems with welding and re forging spring steel,I allow the this to heat up to a dull red before welding clean the slag a good wire brush and back in the forge

Stan, I have used the fold and weld technique a couple of times to make snakes with a python-like head. It's really hard to upset 5/8 steel to get enough mass for the head, so fold/weld reforge works pretty well. I welded it cold though. Might be easier at red heat. Thanks for the tip.

Good use for fridge tube. Cool handle ay?

Thanks Ausfire the capillary tube is good because the wall thickness is quite large for its diameter so can be bent tight without creasing, makes a comfortable handle. Got enough knives now don`t really have the right grinding/polishing setup  looking forward new project but finding the right one not easy.