I Forge Iron

Need help with vice purchase, I'm a newbie

idahomutt

I am new to blacksmithing here in southeast Idaho. I have forge on order and I think I have a good line on a Anvil. I just saw this vice pop up on my local craigslist and I would like to know if any of you could identify it and  whether or not I should pass and wait a different one to come along. I mention it has a crack on the leg that shows in the picture is it worth repairing if the price is right? I 

Thank you,

Matt

00b0b_6DwXWp0mNqx_600x450.jpg

00P0P_ajMdXa5HUSx_600x450.jpg

Edited by idahomutt

Lets see the handle was a replacement, the mounting plate is missing, the spring is missing and the leg is broken.  Seems to be kind of high priced for it's condition to me.

If you are desperate for a postvise and the screw and screw box are in very good condition and you can make the repairs/replacements then...

Have you welded much wrought iron and so are aware of it's peculiarities?

On the other side of Idaho....that $ 100 bucks is a bit high for a vice in that poor condition.  If you can wait and are willing to keep your eyes open, you'll trip over another quite soon.  They are not too uncommon throughout most of Idaho.  

That vise looks to possibly be an Iron City , which is a good brand. Watch it, and see if it sells or not. If it doesn't make a low offer on it. I recently bought a 4.5" Colombian for $40 and it is complete, and in good shape. I probably could have got it for less than I did, as I found out later tha it was headed to the thrift store if I had not bought it. They were originally asking $100.  Vises are more common as they were used in many other areas besides blacksmith shops.  

As Big Gun says they were and are used in more than just blacksmith shops.  The last two I've bought, good shape, all the parts 5" for $40 & $45 were from Carpenter Shops.  Seen them in plumbing shops and auto service shops.  Take your time, $175 seems high to me as well. 

2 years ago I saw a pristine one come out of an old machine shop on the 2nd floor where they did basic repairs for their equipment. I'd have stayed and bid on it, other than everything on the 2nd floor was going as large lots. You buy everything in the room including mystery chemicals, paints, parts etc and it's your job to move and dispose of the items properly. Too much HAZMAT in that room for just a vise.

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm also new to this art form. Where are you guy's getting these vices for these prices?   I'm in Kennewick Wa and most people  I'm talking to have never seen or heard of a leg vice.  I have a Swedish  165# Anvl and just picked up cast iron forge. Now looking for a vice or how to make  one. Any helps would be appreciated. 

Edited by casper1311

Hi I'm also new to this art form. Where are you guy's getting these vices for these prices?   I'm in Kennewick Wa and most people  I'm talking to have never seen or heard of a leg vice.  I have a Swedish  165# Anvl and just picked up cast iron forge. Now looking for a vice or how to make  one. Any helps would be appreciated. 

Leg vices are not uncommon in your area...just not as common as they tend to be back east.  You have to keep your eyes open, visit a lot of "antique" (junk) stores and watch auction listings.  For instance last winter there was an auction up near Quincy that had about 8 of them in one shot.  You may have to get off the beaten path a little to the smaller surrounding towns and areas.

Many farmers have them so watch for farm auctions also.  They shouldn't go for big money unless they are the large size and in good condition.  Just pass if you find a junker that someone thinks is worth the price of gold.

And note that it's not a necessity--just nice to have if you ever run across the right deal.  You can make do with even a junker Chinese harbor freight vice until the right leg vice comes along:  Probably 9 out of 10 beginning smiths do.

Leg vices are not uncommon in your area...just not as common as they tend to be back east.  You have to keep your eyes open, visit a lot of "antique" (junk) stores and watch auction listings.  For instance last winter there was an auction up near Quincy that had about 8 of them in one shot.  You may have to get off the beaten path a little to the smaller surrounding towns and areas.

Many farmers have them so watch for farm auctions also.  They shouldn't go for big money unless they are the large size and in good condition.  Just pass if you find a junker that someone thinks is worth the price of gold.

And note that it's not a necessity--just nice to have if you ever run across the right deal.  You can make do with even a junker Chinese harbor freight vice until the right leg vice comes along:  Probably 9 out of 10 beginning smiths do.

Thanks. Have been to the "antique shops " that's how I found my anvil and open forge. Will keep on keepin on. Any  views on gas vs coal. Will probably wind up with both.

• 3 weeks later...
On Wed Oct 28 2015 10:21:58 GMT-0700, casper1311 said:

Found a vice in Cour d,Alene. Paid 90 bucks but was complete and repairs  needed just a little  elbow grease. 

mine come from *everywhere* but ebay; though I usually pick up a postvise or two every time I go to Quad-State as it's a regular source.  (found one leaning against an old barn when I was out test driving a car---wife wouldn't allow me to go back and get it until we had made the deal on the car...)  Asking folks at the fleamarket selling old barn stuff if there was one they left at home due to it being a pain to transport has been a good way to find them...