I Forge Iron

Star 50lb Hammer

I have a chance of buying a Star 50lb for $1500.  It looks great (sorry, no pics) and runs well.  Except it doesn't have the correct dies.  The top and bottom dies look to be 6" x 3". But they are not aligned directly with each other and only about 3" of each die hit.  The top die is towards the center, but the bottom die is somehow shifted to the left.

if I cannot get the correct dies, I don't see how the hammer will be worth the money.  Anyone have spare dies for this hammer?

Yes, I am still working on my Mayer 25lb, but this kind of dropped into my lap yesterday.

Hey Larry, its funny you mention this as I'm about to make a post on my 25lber because the dies do not match up and I want to use it for knifemaking and would like more precision. I'm thinking of regrinding mine until I can get some steel and make my own. I've asked on here about making them and I know a lot of guys do. It was recommended I look at some scrap forklift tines. As far as actually making them or star hammers I'm afraid I can't be much help but I'm sure they folks here will chime in.

Your Mayer Bros hammer is coming along nicely btw.

-Clint

The dies can shift in the dovetail. Drive the slip out, align them and drive the slip back in. The process is laid out in detail in "The Little Giant Powerhammer," book.

You DO have that book don't you?

There are a number of methods for modernizing dies in old mechanical hammers by forging dovetails you then drill and tap to receive bolt on die plates.

Of course if you need hands on help please feel free to ship it to me, I'll let you know when I'm finished with it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Got it home.  Took a while to get it off the truck and upright in my garage.  All I had was a 1-ton motor winch and a helper.  Oh, and my wife to tell me how to do things.  Actually, she did a great job.

So, the 50 lb Star is sitting by my 25 lb Meyer. The Star is a larger frame. 

I will get a pic tomorrow. 

• 4 years later...

If you look up article on Welded Hammer Dies  they are amazingly simple to make... That's coming from a blacksmith not a machinest.....Can anybody help me with My 50# Star? I can't seem to get it timed right without "loping".. I've rebuilt lots of Little giants but this has a different feel.. I read one article that said the clutch blocks were wood,but mine are metal...

Chris: Thanks. I was looking for info for a Star I'm rebuilding and and responded before seeing the date. However- I sure saved some bucks when I learned to make my own dies instead of paying to have them machined.  I'm still stumped as to why my Star has metal blocks and all pictures I see have wooden ones...

Wonder if someone retro fitted steel not knowing they were wood. If your blocks have a lining like brake shoes they will be sturdier and last longer than wood blocks. To me metal on metal is not good. Do you have a picture of them? I made one set of dies out of RR rail. Used an angle grinder to put in the dovetail, not hard at all.

I don't have a picture. The blocks are perfectly fitted but, like you, I wonder about wisdom of metal on metal. I started using a Little Giant in 1967 (yup I'm an old fart) so when I first started the Star up I did what you do with Little Giants and squirted the heck out of it with oil .Oops-wrong thing with this hammer. Wouldn't work worth a tinker's dam.. So I cleaned off pulleys and belt with carb cleaner and it runs like a champ... Wouldn't have known about metal blocks if I hadn't squirted oil on them....Anyway- I am going to take them out and either have metal shaved down to where I can put some asbestos on them or make some nice oak blocks... I'll put it on here when I'm done. Thanks for your reply.... Eric