I Forge Iron

If you had as much scrap as I do

outlawvagabond

I have a yard full of scrap. My wife and I rent space at a garage that has had many tenants that just ditched their stuff here. For the most part, it's all stuff I can do what I want with. There are some junk 70's Honda motorcycles, a Ford Econoline, Ford Ranger (both late-90's), a couple mopeds. I was thinking that I could scrap it all, but these vehicles were all abandoned with no titles, so in Mass I can't sell them to a junk yard. This stuff has to either get used, or get taken away.

If you had no money and nothing but time (as is the case), what would you do with all this material?

What is the process to get a salvage title on them?   However the econoline would make a storage shed---I used to have an abandoned short bus that I used to hold all the yard tools so they wouldn't creep into my smithy.  Have you talked with the police about getting them impounded and sold off at one of their sales---no money to you but they would be gone!

Part them out. Old car and motorcycle parts are worth more than scrap-which is way down around here.

As for parts for smithing; springs of all sizes, sway bars, torsion bars, tie rods, steering shafts, headliner rods, brake and clutch pedals, shifters, shifter linkages, axles, body panels provide sheet metal, pulleys for bending jigs, driveshafts for the tube, drive chains, and anything else that looks like use able material for the project at hand..

Seeing as I used to do the automotive swapmeet circuit back home, I can tell you that I would sell the parts first. My friend was making $1,500 a month by selling old motorcycle parts he had laying around.

On 9/18/2015 at 12:57 AM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Part them out. Old car and motorcycle parts are worth more than scrap-which is way down around here.

As for parts for smithing; springs of all sizes, sway bars, torsion bars, tie rods, steering shafts, headliner rods, brake and clutch pedals, shifters, shifter linkages, axles, body panels provide sheet metal, pulleys for bending jigs, driveshafts for the tube, drive chains, and anything else that looks like use able material for the project at hand..

Seeing as I used to do the automotive swapmeet circuit back home, I can tell you that I would sell the parts first. My friend was making $1,500 a month by selling old motorcycle parts he had laying around.

That's seems like the way to go. The hard part for me is going to be identifying those xxxx motorcycles. Some of them were halfway torn down and then never touched again.

Thanks, BGD.