I Forge Iron

Hot-cut hardie

Made from a salvaged jackhammer bit. It didn't have enough metal for a squared-off shank, so I upset it to fit diagonally in the top of the hardie hole and jury-rigged a spring clip to keep it from bouncing around.

IMG_20150912_130423803.jpg

Another view:

IMG_20150912_130502602_HDR.jpg

I get you, side to side movement, I'd call wobble or maybe rattle. It's gotta go no matter what it's called, the clip ought to work a treat. Certainly easier than upsetting enough for a square shank. I'll do all kinds of things rather than upset very much.

Frosty The Lucky.

I like that you can change the diagonal from NE-SW to NW-SE depending on whether you're splitting or cutting off.

I address my anvil from the diagonal if necessary, I find being able to use the anvil as a gauge for splitting is very handy. Sometimes I will rest the held end on the point of the horn if I need a fiddly precise split. For a lot of things though I find myself standing at an angle off the tail.

Hmmm, there might be a good reason to try an octagonal shank eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

My standard solution is to get a piece of square tube that is slightly too large for the hardie hole. Heat it and drive it into he hole. When it cools off it can be removed again. I cut it flush with the anvil face and fix my tool to the piece of tube. The result is zero wobble, play, shake or whatever. My hardy hole is very slightly conical and there is a standard square tube the is a wee bit larger than the hole.

Göte

My standard solution is to get a piece of square tube that is slightly too large for the hardie hole. Heat it and drive it into he hole. When it cools off it can be removed again. I cut it flush with the anvil face and fix my tool to the piece of tube. The result is zero wobble, play, shake or whatever. My hardy hole is very slightly conical and there is a standard square tube the is a wee bit larger than the hole.

Göte

You're killing me Göte! This is a family site and you're posting such great adult straight lines!

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning,

Who is to say you can't tack weld an angled spacer on either side of the shank, to stop it from rattling in the Hardy McHole?

Neil

Anyone who knows I don't have a welder.

:)

Edited by JHCC