I Forge Iron

My first post vise

MarkDobson

well i managed to pick this vise and a little rivet forge with a hand crank blower up today. the jaws are 6in and the screw looks to be in really good shape. only thing i can see thats wrong with it is that there is a little damage to the jaws,im not sure if i should(or how to) fix them or if it will even be a problem so im going to get it set up and use it a bit first before i decide what to do with them. this thing makes our bench vises look like toys haha

i didnt take any really good pictures of the damage on the jaws but you might be able to see some in the two i did take.

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

Just use it and it will serve you well after time if there is problem ask again. what to do to repair it. Doesn't look bad to me.

thats the plan for now, its hard to see in these pictures but there is a sizeable piece missing on the flat part of the jaw. i dont plan on doing anything to it unless it is a problem. once i get a post set up for it im going to have to try it out. the guy offered me the post it was on but when i asked how deep it was and he said "oooh its only burried 3ft or so" i decided it would be easier to undo the bolts on the mounting bracket haha. 

It's fairly easy to make jaw covers from angle iron; I got one where the previous owner had filed in aggressive pyramidal spikes on the face that is only usable for putting scales on a dragon without the jaw faces.  You can also make them out of Al for a non-marring cold work set.

Forbidden second try...

Thomas has now said what i was going to, so I will add...

I made a series of vice face cheeks at one time. I was doing a lot of bends that required a large inside radius so I welded a length of tube to a vice face cheek in this instance made from sheet steel. That kept my hands free to align the workpiece and do up the vice. It is possible of course if you are only doing a few, to hold the workpiece in place with the tube or vice versa depending on the their respective weights and / or do the vice up with your knee.

For ordinary ones to protect the workpiece from being marked by the the chequering I make them from the same or preferably softer material than the workpiece. Copper sheet works for most, lead works for copper.

Alan

Alright, once i find time i will have to see what i have that will work for jaw covers, im sure we have some copper to make soft jaws with. Im glad i finally got a nice vise, now i can give my dad his bench vise back and he will stop teasing me with the idea that im going to come over one day and he is going to have it mounted back up in his shop lol

im not 100% sure yet but im thinking im either going to use an extra rr tie we have laying around for the post but since my shop is more temporary im not sure how well it will work. Or another option i have is to make a steel stand, this is entirely dependent on if i have what i need for that.

you can also see the base and top from a craftsman table saw (leaning against the saw horse next to the rivet forge) i got for free that was about to visit the scrap yard, i was planing on  using those for a grinder stand but i need a longer piece of tube/pipe to make it taller, but now that i think about it, the pipe that came with it might be the perfect height for the vise. 

A couple more options for slips (jaw covers by another name) is a set of headers or upsetting jaws. Round or square vertical spaces to grip bar stock so you can upset or head it. VERY handy slips.

If you're going to make a steel stand don't do what I did. I made a folding tripod stand to be easily mobile. Well it's too easily mobile for even medium weight work. My next stand will be a circular plate with a square receiver to accept a square post and a hole to accept the vise leg. A bolt plate on top and a couple pins or wedges on the post and receiver makes it all solid but easy to break down into manageable weight/pieces pieces.

A round flat plate makes it easy to move by tipping it up and rolling it like an oil, etc. drum. If a person needs to do heavy work in it say strolling or bending heavy stock you can stand on the plate so it stays where you put it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty