I Forge Iron

Small portable vice

Everything Mac

Hi guys, just picked up this little vice for £35 delivered to my door. 

57_2.jpg

57_3.jpg

My googlefu is pretty weak on this one. Can anyone tell me if these vices have a particular name or purpose? Just for my own information more than anything. I will need to build a portable stand for it. I need it for a show I'm going to in a few weeks so it will have to be a quick and dirty stand. 

Cheers 

Andy

I have one that's almost a twin that I retrieved from Ebay. My jaw width is 2 1/8 inches. I needed to fab the spring, about 2 1/4 inches long and the small, lower handle for the threaded bench attachment. I love that this style of bench vise is made like the larger leg vises of the period, quite early I might add. I would guess circa 1800. The box is a composite of tube and rings brazed together and then lathe turned. The square threaded screw is brazed together.

Edited by Frank Turley
word choice

Hey Frank thats interesting. I'm still offshore for now and won't get home for another two weeks yet sadly. One I get back I'll post up some more pictures. 

I'm literally going to have two days from getting home to going to my first show so unfortunately this isn't going to get as good a clean up as it deserves right away. I'll probably strip it apart and give it a quick clean and wire brush and oil the thread. I'll need to build some sort of stand (did I mention I need to build a stand at any point in the thread?) 

In short it will get what it needs to function at the show then I can give it the clean up it deserves after that. 

All the best

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a little clean up of the vice before the show. It cleaned up really well and it really is a lovely little vice. I'm quite pleased I bought it. 

vice1.jpg

vice2.jpg

vice3.jpg

The jaws aren't quite flush which is a bit odd. But it's not awful as they close up tight enough and it is secure when attaching to a bench. 

All the best 

Andy

very nice Andy!  Good                                                                                                                                       Find

Edited by notownkid
spelling as usual