I Forge Iron

Need Ideas

GreatSword37

Ok so I'm new here, not so new to blacksmithing.  What I'm needing is ideas on a solid fuel (Wood) enclosed forge (General dome/bell shape like a smelter.) with a port and bed large enough to make my own Greatsword.  I'm going to be looking to put in an electric motor for my bellows I know that much as well.

Hi GreatSword welcome to the forum. We like new members to add their general location to their profiles. - You might find a few IFI folks live nearby.

I think you had better spend a couple of hours searching on this forum for "beginner projects" and blacksmithing for beginners. We get a fair few guys asking very similar questions on here.

All the best 

Andy

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

Just how "not new" to blacksmithing are you? What level blacksmith are you that you feel accomplished enough to make a great sword? How long have you been making blades? What books do you have in your library? Classes taken? What are you using for a forge now and why can't you use it for a sword?

Seriously we'd like you to succeed but you should realize there are a lot of us who can smell BS as easily as Mother's Sunday dinner. It doesn't matter what we think the steel is unforgiving, it doesn't care. You have to do it all right or it WILL fail and be just as happy as a rust stain as Excalibur stuck in the stone.

Frosty The Lucky.

So you are about to have heart surgery and the surgeon comes in and assures you that he has taken some biology classes....before working on a "real" great sword I would expect you to have done dozens of knives and several swords and have good results with those and also have answered all the startup questions.

Messing up a greatsword could literally result in death of you or a friend and we hate that! Do you own Hrisoulas' books?  

Edited by ThomasPowers